IGNORED

Datsun 240k Gl 1977 Needing Advice Or Feedback?

tonyasap

Perhaps it's substancially different over here than it is over there. Here, most people know of or about the C10 but know nothing of the C110 so, yes, here I would say the average punter does know that the C10 GT-R was the first GT-R.

I agree that the 240K is probably growing in popularity because of the rep of the later GT-R's, I would say what's also a large factor is the fact that the C110 was finally included in the GT series of games so people who don't necessarily have a wide knowledge of cars or access or interest in the internet know now that there was a C110 GT-R and can compare it to the 240K.

440K - It might be wise to educate the godzilla heads out there about the C10 being the original GT-R. That way, they leave you alone and go hunting for the C10s instead of scooping up all the 240Ks. Best to protect your interests, especially with part becoming harder to get.

Michael - yes, you guys seem to have much better access to the interesting cars over there:( . I know the Princes weren't well known over here, although I have come across the odd one in papers, and probably seen one or 2 on the road (before I knew what they were).

I recall growing up in the 80's. many of my high school and uni mates had 240K's (at least 5 of them) and at the time they were boring, family cars with not much going for them (personally, I was into 1600's and gravel roads). It amuses me that these cars, which you couldn't give away in the 80's, are now becoming so scarce and sought after.

Good call on the GT4 thing. I suspect a lot of youngsters (and some of us older farts) are learning their motoring expertise from computer games and the internet. I just met a couple of dudes this morning who run a race shop - it's a grungy workshop tucked in the back of labrador, with some nice IP cars in there. They were proud of being "old Skool" mechanics, and were telling me stories about their early days. One of them worked on the Repco program in the late 60's, for Black Jack himself. I could have sat there and listened to these guys for hours.

Of course the 240K's new found popularity is a two edged sword. Anyone with a decent example will get better money for it, but those of us with a less than decent example will struggle to get bits for them.

Having said all that, I've just this morning bought another nice, straight, original 2 door to add to my collection :bunny:

Yes, but those ones weren't sold as Nissans, not here in Oz anyway. They were Prince Skylines. Minor but significant detail.

Besides, if you could get your hands on one (GTR or otherwise), it would be worth plenty more than a 240K

Hi Pete,

Because you've touched on my favourite subject :bunny: and at the risk of being labelled a smartarse, I'd like to add what I believe to be true in Australia....selected Nissan-Datsun dealers did indeed sell the Nissan Prince A200GT.

The PMC Prince Skyline GT S54BE2; (S54 for long wheelbase, B for the G7 "B" or triple webered engine, E for Export, and the two is a bit tricky but I think it was to differentiate from the very first S54 with the single carbied engine) was first marketed in Australia as a product of The Prince Motor Company. I've included a scan of the rear of an English text 1965 brochure from Prince Motors for the Australian release.

The next model (of interest to this discussion) to come to Australia, was the NISSAN Prince A200 GT.(S54BE3). I believe these appeared early in 1967. Once again a scan of the equivalent brochure, but this time from our friends at NISSAN!

Both models were assembled in the same factory, by the same team. Once Prince Motor Company was merged into NISSAN, Nissan took over the marketing and ensured the VIN plate read NISSAN where previously it would have read PRINCE. MOST carried a small Nissan badge front and rear (see black and white pic). I suspect a lot of these were removed by owners to add a little mystique. The various badging fitted to these cars by the makers in their build lifetime (1965-1968) will forever cause confusion. This led motoring magazines to get it wrong also. I think they ALL received the stylised Prince "P" badge though. I'll include a pic of that!

A200's, Prince 2000's, Nissan Skylines, Prince Skylines,....and that was just the badges, when you toss in what the brochures said , dealers called them and what was written in various road tests,S54A, S54B, S54AE3, S54BE3) the confusion is understandable.

Prince started it with the GT, giving it real performance cred with the "B" package with the webers. Nissan advanced it next generation in Feb 1969 with the S20 powered C10 4door, the first Skyline given the mark of GT-R.

The last N/A GT-R was the C110 shape we in Australia associate with the 240K. As Tom (the C110) says "why didn't they just badge them as Skylines in OZ?"

...And this is only a glimpse of the whole picture that I'm still trying to understand:)

post-6441-1415079736185_thumb.jpg

post-6441-14150797362207_thumb.jpg

post-6441-14150797362371_thumb.jpg

post-6441-14150797362936_thumb.jpg

[dummy spit] Fine, have it your way. I'm wrong, everyone else is right. There. Is that better? [/dummy spit]

I guess I must be one of the Godzilla heads, then. I wasn't aware that they were marketed in Oz as Nissans. Still stand by my comments about them not being well known, where the 240K has been a common sight on Australian roads (although not what you'd call common anymore)

Now, to continue hijacking the thread (sorry Tonyasap) The deal on my 240K 2 door fell through. We agreed with a handshake, and I told him I'd get back to him this afternoon - he was more than happy with that. I was buying the car for a friend, who was planning on turning it into a daily driver. When I spoke to my friend, he backed out of the deal.

No problem, I thought, I'll let the seller know that he can choose to put it back on the market, or if he wants me to keep my word (which I was more than prepared to so) I'd still buy it at the agreed price, but probably just resell it on ebay, or here, and possibly make money on it (certainly the case if I put it on Ebay). I felt obligated to let him know my intentions, because I don't like the thought of profiteering out of other people.

He said he was happy either way, but half way through the discussion, decided to keep it (he'd been in 2 minds about it all along). He'd seen Lachlan's beautiful coupe around the area, and was keen to do the GTR on his own as well.

So, Lachlan. Looks like you're responsible for another Datto fan's slow descent into hell:stupid:

Continuing the hijacking of this thread . . . .

I find this very enlightening. I'm now learning more about the history of the cars we all love. Interesting how the cars were marketed as a Prince, Nissan and Datsun down there. In Japan, once Prince was absorbed by Nissan, the Prince name ceased to exist. In the USA, they were Datsuns until 1983, when Nissan decided to go worldwide with only one name: Nissan.

Ahh don't worry about it Pete! There's not many around that saw them in the dealers, and most owners of the GTB's were keen to distance the car from the "Datsun" association. Remember "Prince and Nissan" were as different as "Ford and GMH" before 1966. with all the S54 Skylines still being built by the same Prince team after the merger, they were NISSAN in name only. When compared to a Nissan or Datsun on the road in Australia at the time, they had Japanese build similarities, but no makers brand similarities. They were still as different as a different make!

You are right about them being uncommon. Consensus is ~300 in total were delivered to Australia. I've always been a car nut and the first one I recall wasn't 'till 1971...but I do remember looking at a deep blue Prince Gloria on the showroom floor around 1965....I was 8 years old (all that chrome!:love: )

The attached pic is from Glasses 1975 dealers used car guide. It shows the single carby A model, S54AE3 and the triple webered B model S54BE3 moved to the DATSUN listing.

Sorry TONYASAP for continuing to hijack your thread. Maybe in a roundabout way knowing some of the heritage of the trusty 240K, you may be encouraged to restore it to its former glory? I hope so!

post-6441-14150797363477_thumb.jpg

Nissan Badge on an S54BE3, and an example of the stylised badge I think all the S54 series was fitted with.

Jim.

That second picture is excellent isn't it!! ;)

Sorry Pete :o He doesn't happen to own a motorbike does he? Before my car begun its transformation some dude on a bike came next to me and asked if he could buy my car "because he needed parts for his restoration". Bugger that, calling my car a parts car!! The nerve!!! ROFL

Great information Jim! Miles, how sure are you that "the Prince name ceased to exist" after the Prince-Nissan merger? Sure the Skylines sold as Nissans from then on but I would have expected a similar story to Australia in the way they handled badging and advertising. I'm not saying you're wrong, just wondering if you could expand on that a bit?

I dont believe (and please correct me if i'm wrong) the skyline C10 was available for sale in Australia at any time, as either a prince or a nissan, and definately not the GT-R.

The first nissan GT-R to be officially sold in Australia was the the R32 (Godzilla).

Actually, Lachlan, this guy is into motorbikes, but I don't think he's had the 240K long enough to be the guy. Bloody cheeky I reckon!! If he could only see your car now.

Mr Camouflage - I'm keeping :tapemouth :tapemouth :tapemouth about this topic.