IGNORED

Any difference in front & rear brake hoses?

Bonzi Lon

Greetings from Oz. This is my first question (post) of many to come. This deals with my (Barn Find) 73 240Z. (More on this later.) Is there really any great difference in front and rear brake hoses? The front appear to be about 2 inches longer, but other than that they seem to have the same ends, clamps, etc. I want it to be safe, but if fronts will fit the back with no real danger of failure, why not? I seem to see more front hoses available than the rear.

Another brake related question. One of my books said if you remove the brake fluid reservoirs from the master cylinder you must replace them with new ones. Any truth to this? The rubber seals on the caps melted into the fluid over the past 26 years. I found a set of used ones, and then another set on a complete master cylinder, so have plenty to work with if this is not true.

I would like to have it stop well before I get it running,.... but then, dents are easier to repair than rust! Bonzi Lon

• 7 years later...

I compared dimensions on the OReilly Auto web site and the rears are 1 1/4" longer of the two choices for sale there. Everything else is the same. So if you have fronts you might run in to a length problem. Rears should be at least 11 inches long according to their page.

Brake Hose - 1973 Nissan 240Z | O'Reilly Auto Parts

I figured it out after I bought both OEM sets. The fronts are 240mm in length (interesting number). The rears are 260mm in length. I was thinking the fronts would be longer as they turn and have more travel, but the package said the longer ones go in the rear. An interesting side note, these brake lines will work as the clutch line also, same length as either front or rear, can't remember now.

Bonzi Lon

Bonzi, are you sure the brake lines will work as clutch lines? You need a male end at the clutch slave (with copper crush washer), don't all the 240/260/280z brake hoses have two female ends?

I think one of the 280zx brake lines are male/female and could work as a clutch line for any Z. Don't have the parts in front of me, could be missing something here...

I went out & looked. The hose screws into the slave, the other end has the flair nut on the steel line to attach that end & the lock clip to hold everything in place. Black Dragon shows a separate copper crush washer for the brake lines on the 79-83, but no washer available for the clutch hose.

Bonzi Lon