IGNORED

Reported posts - Wrong Forums

Victor Laury

well there is a a "sticky" note in the Tech Articles forum that clearly states Do Not Post unless it's an Article.

Each of the forums have NAMES that describe what should be posted there.

It's really fairly simple. Don't HIJACK someone elses thread to ask your your question about something that is only superficially related.

When in doubt, start your own thread IN THE APPROPRIATE FORUM.

I'm not picking on anyone, but this really isn't rocket science, a little common sense goes a long way.

It may not be rocket science to you but, alot of these people are not getting it

Yeah, and I think part of the reason is some of the very tools that make this site so easy to use. For example, if you bookmark the link for the last 24 hours posts (as I do), you see all these threads in one homogeneous list. There is no differentiation as to what forum a post is in. So you see a post, you read it and you reply to it - not even knowing that it is in the "Articles" forum.

Or say you search the entire site for a thread on interior upholstery. You get a list of threads back, you read a few but don't see any that quite answer your question. So while still in one of the posts, you click to go to the thread's parent forum and post your question. But without noticing, you just posted a 240Z question in the 240k forum.

This site has a whole lot of useful categories. Which makes it all the easier to mess up when posting. I'd hate to make it more difficult to use, in general. But the tech articles forum might be a special case. Perhaps holding articles for an admin's approval is the best answer for that one forum.

Yeah, and I think part of the reason is some of the very tools that make this site so easy to use. For example, if you bookmark the link for the last 24 hours posts (as I do), you see all these threads in one homogeneous list. There is no differentiation as to what forum a post is in. So you see a post, you read it and you reply to it - not even knowing that it is in the "Articles" forum.

Or say you search the entire site for a thread on interior upholstery. You get a list of threads back, you read a few but don't see any that quite answer your question. So while still in one of the posts, you click to go to the thread's parent forum and post your question. But without noticing, you just posted a 240Z question in the 240k forum.

This site has a whole lot of useful categories. Which makes it all the easier to mess up when posting. I'd hate to make it more difficult to use, in general. But the tech articles forum might be a special case. Perhaps holding articles for an admin's approval is the best answer for that one forum.

Arne:

If you look at the page that loads from your link to the "posts in the last 24 hours", you'll note that the far RIGHT collumn lists the forum that each post is in. This was mentioned previously in another thread and the respondant said "Well, I don't look there." and my response is "Perhaps they should". I don't mean this as picking on you, just pointing it out so other people will know.

If people look at any thread on the site, at the upper LEFT, just below the club emblem it shows the path (via small links) such as "Classic Zcar Club > CHIT-CHAT FORUMS > Open General Discussions > Reported posts - Wrong Forums" so, if people look in the right place, it's really easy to see where the thread being viewed is located.

I agree, and I personally have learned to look there. But -- when the right column says "Engine & Drivetrain" it doesn't differentiate whether that is for 240/260/280Z, 280ZX or 240k. Same with "Interior" or "Electrical" or whatever. So holding up the right column as the locator is not the total answer.

Lastly, I work in customer support for a living. Using that as a guide, I sincerely doubt that we will ever get the run-of-the-mill user to read the directions. Sad, but true.

I agree, and I personally have learned to look there. But -- when the right column says "Engine & Drivetrain" it doesn't differentiate whether that is for 240/260/280Z, 280ZX or 240k. Same with "Interior" or "Electrical" or whatever. So holding up the right column as the locator is not the total answer.

Lastly, I work in customer support for a living. Using that as a guide, I sincerely doubt that we will ever get the run-of-the-mill user to read the directions. Sad, but true.

We work in the same industry, so I know where you are coming from. IMO, Some people will always be clueless.

What you say about the right collum not being the total answer is true, but once a person gets to the actual thread, I believe that people can see (just below the club logo in the upper left of the page) exactly where they are.

I'm just hoping that more people will see that if they just look around carefully, they can figure out much of how this site works. Hell, I'm no rocket scientist, and if (over a bit of time) I can figure most of it out........ well, lets just say that most people can. If they care to make the effort.

I guess from what has been posted here the resident experts do not care enough to listen. I have taken alot of effort in looking for these things and just must be too stupid to get it.

See ya been insulted enough