IGNORED

E31 vs E88 vs N42

blue_leaf

Of the three head you ask about - the N42 flows the best stock, it has larger intake and exhaust valves to begin with. (44/35 vs 42/33).

The N42 & E88 have close to the same combustion chamber size and design. E88 is 44.7cc and the N42 is 44.6. By comparison the P90 had a 53.6cc combustion chamber... so you'd have to mill it to get the compression up - then most likely shim the cam towers to get the correct height to keep the chain tight etc.

An N42 with Flat Tops should put you right around 9.5:1 as I recall, but if you mill it a bit, then unshroud the valves it will come out between 9.5:1 and 9.8:1. You'll have to cc the combustion chambers when the initial work is done... to see where you end up. Just do a little Port Matching and your good to go.

With any of these older heads - be sure to have your machine shop check them closely for micro cracks before you put any serious money into them.

Good luck,

Carl B.

Clearwater,FL USA

http://ZHome.com

• 3 weeks later...

I have an L24 engine (E88). From what I read it's not the best engine to swap. But this is the engine I have, so I decided to add some:

headers and exhaust system by Monza,

ignition sist. its a crane XR3000 with crane ps91 e-core coil, (like to know if the best distributor for this sist must be the Mallory UNILITE electronic).

Im also planning to change camshaft (factory one) for a Performance Camshaft, Stage III, 70-83 (from the Z store) The specs are

"Grind: 17034. Lift(In/Ex): .460/.460. Duration(In/Ex): 270/280. Characteristics: Rougher idle, excellent performance. Pulls hard from 3000-6500 RPM."

For now Im going to use the SU carbs but going after($$$:cry:) for a Weber Triple Carburetor Kit, 40 DCOE.

Please help me with the info on distributor and what do You think on this engine swap.

Bad trip the trany its a manual 4 speed and R180 (I would like to change it for 5 speed and a R200, but dont have the money for that now, so later will be if can not sure if L24 can use a 5 speed trany.

Streets here in Panama are short but sometimes I like to drive to the beach that is 50 miles from home, so like to go kind of fast.

What Im looking is to have a very fast street car; is this ok for what Im looking for?

My first Z and I know this forum is full of people that really know about this beautiful girls so all comments are welcome.

Thank You for your help.