IGNORED

Clutch slave return spring?

Arne

I need some info on the return spring that mounts on the clutch slave cylinder. Not sure which cars came with this, but the early 240Zs did at least. I'm almost done gathering my parts to swap in a Type A 4 speed instead of the factory automatic. But I don't have that spring, nor do I see it available anywhere (catalogs or websites). Can anyone give me the dimensions and approximate tension rate on one so that I can look for an alternative?

Arne, If you get tired of searching for an OEM spring, you may consider an off-the-shelf tension spring....S.S. would be prefered. Measure the distance between the two attach point, with the clutch released, and subtract approximately 1/2" (maybe a little more). Sould be able to find a spring to fit at any good hardware store or do an internet search for springs. When I was redoing my Z, I replaced the two throttle return spring with S.S. springs and chose springs that had slightly less tension than did the stock spring, so my pedal pressure was slightly less. Anyway, I chose the S.S. spring for two other reasons besides get less tension....won't rust and they certainly look better too!

I'd be happy to use a non-OEM spring, but since none of this is in the car yet I can't accurately measure it all. I was kinda hoping someone might have one they could measure for me so I can get it ahead of time.

Here you go Arne!

As far as I can tell, the unsprung length of the SC spring is around 3 1/2 inches(out-to-out), and the diameter is about 1/2-5/8. I had to drill a pilot hole in the casing of the SC because this VB part didn't have a way to attach the spring.

post-6791-14150796969152_thumb.jpg

post-6791-14150796969417_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

I just purchased an aftermarket slave cylinder today. The new cylinder does not have a flange with the hole for the spring. I noticed on the pictures above posted by Mat that his does not appear to have this flange on it. Can anyone give me some guidance on this? I have a 72 240Z 4 spd mfg 3/72. Do I have the wrong slave cylinder?

Thanks for any help I can get on this issue.