IGNORED

Removing 240Z engine....have question.

Zthing

As you can see from the picture, there have been no modifications to the transmission tunnel, and the transmission is being taken out....not put in. As stated earlier, everything fit perfectly, boot, center console, everthing. Either my body plate is mistaken, or the need for modification is a myth.:paranoid:

As you can see from the picture, there have been no modifications to the transmission tunnel, and the transmission is being taken out....not put in. As stated earlier, everything fit perfectly, boot, center console, everthing. Either my body plate is mistaken, or the need for modification is a myth.:paranoid:

No, it is not a myth. I believe that you are misinterpreting the issue Curtis was pointing out.

Here's the way it works. If you have a early Z (read 70/71) that came from the factory with the "Monkey-Motion" (Type A) transmission (which is the one your picture shows), and at some point decide to install the later Type "B" transmission, you will need to enlarge the front of the hole in the transmission tunnel or you will not be able to shift properly.

However, if you have a later Z (read 72-78) and decide at any point to install a Monkey-Motion (Type "A") transmission, it will fit just fine as the hole is already larger than it needs to be for the shifter to be moved through it's entire range.

BTW, If a transmission tunnel is modified carefully enough, it would be very difficult to see traces of the modification. (Yes I have actually done this)

Also, from your VIN, I can assure you that your car came with the later (Type "B") transmission in it from the factory. Someone, sometime, replaced the original transmission with the earlier one (Type "A") that is shown in your picture.

Also, the engine listed in your signiture line is not the original engine that chassis HLS30-73112 was delivered with. An engine with S/N # L24-8107 would have been originally installed in a 240Z manufactured in mid 1970, which may explain why you also have the early transmission in a later year chassis (both engine and transmission possibly replaced at the same time).

**note, I am speaking of HLS30U models, I have no idea, nor do I care how this relates to HLS30's in any other market. Nuff said!

Make sure you don't have a shifter hole alignment issue since you are using a Type A transmission in your '72.

The way I interpreted this quote was that I need to be concerned with a shifter alignment issue. From what you are saying, this would not be a problem since the 1972 was already large enough. I would surely not get in a battle of who knows what with you over this. All I was concerned with was understanding exactly what he was speaking of so that I could avoid a potential problem.

I am well aware of the year differences between my chassis and engine/transmission. That is why I listed it on my signature the way I did. As a matter of fact, one of my first posts to this forum was an inquiry on the difference in numbers on the wheel well plate, and the actual engine. I feel sure the engine and transmission were in fact removed from an earlier car, and placed as a pair in mine. Just thought from the pic I attached that it was obvious that there was no alignment issue. Curtis may have thought that I planned to place this set-up into a different chassis, and was preventing me from running into a headache down the road. In the end, the hole looks factory to me, regardless....it is plenty big enough.

To all that responded to this thread.....many thanks. Should finish engine removal this evening if all goes well.

I think there is a few different ideas here. After reading your post, I believe someone just brought up a common problem only if you are changing transmissions. If you are simply removing it to do some work (and will be putting it back), then you will not have the problem. ;)

Mike