IGNORED

Removing 240Z engine....have question.

Zthing

Howdy all. One last thing before I can yank the engine. I have attached a picture of the shifter, and have a question. As you can see, each attachment point is has a letter. What I need to know is if you guys removed both B and C, or were able to get by with removing "A", and just removing the chrome shifter. What I had in mind as you can tell by the pic, is removing B and C, but the flat head screw (B) is gonna be a tough cookie. I tried a large flathead with an adjustable wrench on the flat part of the blade for assistance, but I am worried that I am gonna booger up the screw.....that turkey is ultra tight.

Didn't know if the trannie would drop down far enough to clear without removing the entire mech. Let me know.....and thanks in advance. :D

post-7996-14150796853751_thumb.jpg

Please elaborate on the shifter hole alignment issue. Everything seemed to be cool with the way the shifter aligned with the boot etc. when entering the cockpit. Am I misunderstanding you? Whatchu talk'n bout Willis? :ermm:

Are you going to re-install the same trans? or are you going to install a later style trans?

If you are going to a later trans (later 4 speed or a 5 speed) you may have to enlarge the hole in the trans tunnel where the shifter pokes up into the cabin in order to allow the shifter to clear the sheet metal when in 3rd or 5th gear.

Reason? The later transmissions have a different shifter set up.

Please elaborate on the shifter hole alignment issue. Everything seemed to be cool with the way the shifter aligned with the boot etc. when entering the cockpit. Am I misunderstanding you? Whatchu talk'n bout Willis? :ermm:

The '72 and later bodies use the Type B transmissions. These later transmissions have the shifter located farther forward on the transmission than the Type A transmissions found in the '70-'71 bodies. As montoya_fan01 mentioned you would have to enlarge the transmission tunnel hole and modify the console. Your shifter picture is from a Type A transmission, but your sig states a '72.