IGNORED

Fuel injector Prob. 77 280z

jagnew3

Well my luck may have run out. I drove around the block, and she had some hesitation..as I expected, but ran okay for a car on real nasty gas. when I got back to the garage she started Idleing rough, then would pop, and backfire, then rev good, then accelerate rough and pop etc..finally it died..and was very hard to restart Had to pump..though it's fuel injected..???

btw there was a big stash of seeds stashed in the exhaust, I have been blowing seeds out the tail when I rev it..today it was like popcorn..I finally got it to run okay again, just by reving, and keeping it going..but I fear the parts will need to start comming off LOL..Oh and my speedo magically started working today too.

Okay here's a link to a ohoto of my $500 Z did a multitude of stuff today, found a small vac. leak to the vac advance, and can hear a whoosh Of air near the rear underside of the intake manifold. When I shut it off I hear air bleeding from the same area..but can't find it. It ran better, but still has fits of sputtering, poping and near death experiences that can be cleared but reving it up several times. when it is clearing out it belches dark, old gas/stabil/injector cleaner smelling smoke..then it's fine til it loads up. It seems to have no rhyme to it. I am wondering if some part of the fuel/injector cleaner/stabil is building up..unburnt..then causeing this. There is a picture of a plug on this site..it's what all my old ones looked like. BTW it seems the wierd stuff started about 20min after it was running with stabil..Here's the link to my Z pictures

http://photobucket.com/albums/d168/jagnew3/Z%20page/?sc=1&multi=19&addtype=local&media=image&test=test

First thing I would do is lose those Bosch Platinum spark plugs and get some NGK B6ES-11 plugs. That is after you get rid of the old gas, StaBil, etc. Too many chemicals in that gas. Run it out as I said earler or drain it. You won't be able to clean up the old gas and you're problems won't go away until its gone. Been there, done that. My car didn't run right until the old gas was gone. Be sure to use a fresh fuel filter at that point. And your wiper arm nuts are in the mail as of today (Friday).

10-40 man. I'm gonna do it today. Thansk so much for giving me some nuts...wit that didn't sound right..but you catch my drift. Did you have a look at my pictures? I still need to put on some stuff as you can see. I have it..just been playing with the engine first.

Okay..drained fuel, changed filter, changed plugs. The nkg's were not avail, so I picked up some autolite 404...engine runs much stronger now..still has a bit of hesitation..but much much better. It does not like to sit running at idle long...it will idle all day, but you have to give it a few "clear it out stomps" to get it going again. I did notice it got a little bog around 40mph if I was in it real hard....so that's where I'm at..got the trim on at abou 5:00am..LOL you thoughts?

Got the ngk's..runs better for sure...still an occasional burp if I let it idle too long..like it's loading up..I'm noticing that the more accesorys I turn on..the more my volt gauge seems to be drug down, and when all the accessories are off it's showing about 15 or 16...I was wondering if the volts started to drop..how would this affect the way the car is running? What even the cause of the bogging after prolonged idle, it is easily cleared by reving now. the 404's I took out (plugs) were nice and light brow, except 1..in was a bit sooty.... it was the back cylinder.I'll run compression check tonight. I'm wondering if there is a stuck ring or, if the light lifter tap is comming from that cylinder. I'll pull the ngk's tonight as I comp. test and see what they burned like. I did a burn out in the garage last night..could't resist, man does it squeel with a high pitch..LOL nice black marks..twins, LOL

Oh and installing the power antenna was not much fun..electrical is not my strong suit, LOL, but it's in and works.

In my expericence with the voltmeter in my 78, showing between 15-16 is about normal with no accesories running. They're just not that accurate. When I check it with a VOM, it shows about 14.2-14.4 which is normal. For that lifter tap, you can adjust the valve lash. I like to hear the slightest lifter sound when I adjust mine so that I know they're not too tight. Slightly loose will not cause the problems that being too tight can cause. Like one of the other members here once said, 'like children, he'd rather be able to hear what they're doing'. As far as the bogging, that will go away as things clear up. It took me a couple of tanks of gas and a 'Seafoam' treatment. Ease up on the 'garage burnouts'. I had a buddy who did that and his car caught traction and tore up a lot of stuff including the car.