IGNORED

$150 for a 79ZX engine. Is it worth it?

Hrududu

So I'm looking for a rebuilder motor for my 280Z. I found one from 79ZX for $150. The guy says it was pulled in 89 and ran fine at the time. It had 145 PSI in each cylinder. It has the exhaust and intake manifolds as well as all the fuel rails. It was kept indoors. What do you guys think? Is this engine going to be as powerful as my 77 engine. It has the same N42 head. What kind of power would this put out? I know the ZX was supposed to be weaker, but from what I found, they group the 75-80 engines together as the same motor. Thanks guys.

That sounds a bit high for what is essentially a core, at least compared to the prices I see around these parts. (And then there's the issue of it sitting unused for 6-7 years. Is it rusty inside?)

I've seen several fairly complete ZX mills around here (Oregon) for $45-75 each. Might not be quite as good in some ways, but if you're just going to rebuild it any way...??

The motor is not supposed to put out the same amount of horsepower as the L28s in the 280Z, but I can't really determine why.

More emmissions controls are likely to blame, but I thought they dyno'ed the engines without the equipment, and without any parasitic equipment like compressors.

For 150 bucks, hey why not. It's got all of its parts, so it's not like you'll have to put out much extra expense.

You could always make a really neat coffee table out of it by stripping it down to the block and mounting some plexiglass using the bolt holes.

The motor is not supposed to put out the same amount of horsepower as the L28s in the 280Z, but I can't really determine why.

I thought we covered that in a thread a while back. The method of rating horsepower changed for the 79 model year. The hosepower of a 75-78 280z is essentially the same as a NA 79-83 280zx.

I havent pulled apart a '79 ZX engine , specificly . But from what I have read the ZX engines that are NA all have flat toped pistons . That is all F-54 blocks. All turbo engines are the same engine ,but with dished pistons. My ZX engine has flat topped pistons but a P-79 head which is what came on that F-54 block , and is a '81 ZX . Also All L-28 engines have dished pistons. The F-54 engine is the same bore and stroke as all other 280 engines , but the heads , P-79 & P-90 supposedly, has the later better design combustion chambers. Much of this information is elseware on the web site . I can only state what I personally experience and pass it on . One difference in the F-54 is in the casting of the block , supposedly again , this is a stronger block . A down side , I have been told , is they tend to run hotter than the L-24 . I have been running a 240 radiator and have not had any trouble in hot weather at least so far . Check the casting number it should be a F-54 block if it is a ZX block . As to if it is a weaker engine , this is the first posting I have read to that and I would like to see some dyno numbers to back that up . Gary

The difference in what most see is the rating change from the old standard of SAE gross and NET.

Basically all it is saying is one just from the motor and the latter is from the motor with accessories.

Here is a good read on horsepower ratings and how they were determined.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower

The 280-Z and 280ZX have no real differnce in hp, or weight for that matter, most have found the 79ZX actually weighed less then the later 280Z.

I just remembered, it doesn't have a distributer. I think that is all thats missing though. I really just want a project engine, and don't want to get ripped off. These cars arn't too easy to find around here. The guy said he sent all his old Z's to the crusher last summer. I think he may have had about 10, and the only reason this ZX motor and an l26 survived is because they had been pulled and forgotten about.

Is what you are thinking is to exchange the engines or rebuild the bone yard one ? The last time I looked the exchange engine builders charged $200. for no core . If this is still the fact , is it worth all the work involved to exchange the engines for the $50.00 difference ?

Is what you are thinking is to exchange the engines or rebuild the bone yard one ? The last time I looked the exchange engine builders charged $200. for no core . If this is still the fact , is it worth all the work involved to exchange the engines for the $50.00 difference ? one more thing , first make sure what block you are buying , it may not be a F-54 ZX engine .

I don't think it's that terribly high a price -- the question is, how much time do you want to spend to possibly save $60-70?

Around here an engine like that, already pulled from the car, goes for $300-400. Much less at a you-pull.

For the question about which L28 to choose, please visit zhome.com -- click on "Modifications for More HP" over on the left, then on "An L28 Swap Into a First Generation Z Car." He states his preferences pretty nicely and you'll get the ins and outs of one vs. another.

Steve.