IGNORED

Compressor Size

kurtwwalters

I am looking to buy a compressor to run air tools and do some media blasting. What cfm compressor will I need? I know the bigger the better.... I saw a 60 gal 3.5 horse one at Harbor Freight for 400, but it runs on 220 and I would need to have an electrician come out to the house to wire it. The biggest 110 compressor I saw did I think 5.6 cfm at 90psi. Any tips? Thank you in advance....

This is a subjective topic. I highly suggest installing 220V for air compressors, welders, and any heavy equipment. You can do a 100A sub panel to feed all of your needs (assuming there is a 200A service at the house). Back to compressors. The bigger the better. A small unit will burn up if you put it to task. I've seen this too many times. I personally have a 120 gallon horizonal tank and a SpeedAire 7hp 175psi head. It's driven by a 5hp 220v 184T frame motor. My investment was about $900 all told because I picked up the tank at auction then purchased to head, motor, mag switch and pressure relief valve to assemble. It is capable of keeping up with ANY load I put on it. To it's testimony I've had it for over ten years and the only maintenance has been regular oil changes. It depends on what you have to invest. A cheap investment here will be an expensive mistake down the road. Consider the MOST cfm you'll ever use (blasting, spraying a car, or running multiple tools) and shoot for that. I also recommend buying name brand if you can directly from a supplier in a nearby industrial park (shopping realy apys off here). SpeedAire, Campbell Hausfield, etc. are typically built better and have longivity. I also recommend a automatic bleeder for the tank. Water build-up will eat through the tank and add unnecessary moisture in the air feed.

I have a 5 hp Craftsman compressor with a 40 gallon tank. It runs off 110V. Can't remember the CFM rating right off. It does well for most tasks. Great for running an impact wrench & air ratchet, not so good with a DA or inline sander. I have to wait for it to catch up when I use the sanders, but they use a lot of air. It does pretty good with a spray paint gun. I bought a cheap HVLP gun at Harbor Freight and used it to paint my Z. Turned out great.

If you plan to used tools that require a lot of air then follow ezzzzz's advice, get a 220V unit, the biggest you can find with a high CFM rating.

I have a bead blasting cabinet with a 5hp 60 gallon tank. I have to take breaks about every few minutes to let it catch up. If you want 90 psi for long durations you will need atleast 12cfm at 90 psi ,so it will need to a big compressor. But it all depends how much you use it.For the hobbyist I would get atleast a 5hp motor? IMHP

I have been told to avoid oil-less compressors. Mine is a 5hp 60 gallon cart type and it does pretty well. I don't have the space for a larger unit and as much as I would like a bead blast cabinet, space keeps me from making that jump.