IGNORED

Some pics of interest

g72s20

I think the Haitch stands for Hexport model :laugh:

Look at item 39 (last on the list).

At the time these were being imported,I thought there was a registration requirement, though not an ADR (Australian Design Rule) that the drivers external mirror must be able to be adjusted from the drivers seat. Now that, at first glance would explain why so few (if any?) 240Ks were fitted with the mirrors mounted above the wheel arch. I enquired about this when registering my KGC10, as the mirrors are mounted WAY out of reach! Turns out it's something covered by a Federal mob in Canberra, Dept of Tranportation. The bloke I spoke to was most helpful. He pointed out that you could sit in the drivers seat and use a stick to reach and adjust the mirror! As he said" it's all in the interpretation" He also felt the requirement back then was more to do with pedestrian safety, but could find nothing in the current regs. specific to stop them being mounted there now.

post-6441-14150796375209_thumb.jpg

Note the badges NOT marked "AST" for Australia!

(same pics, different part ident. list)

Okay, then where else did these cars go? I posted a pic of a 240K that I found in the Skyline Museum a few months back. It had fender mirrors, which all the guys downunder said "never seen them" or "looks strange."

Now you find parts marked specific for Australia, so where else did these cars go? Certainly not to the US; and here in Japan, they were Nissan Skylines, not Datsun 240Ks. England?

NZ has a few 240KGT (only AUS imports were badged as GL) all NZ new were GT's, also some made there way here via Singapore and the like by return servicemen. That was also how a lot of Japanese sports of that 70's era got to NZ (so some do have the mirrors on the fenders/guards, Dad imported a 74 Mitsi GTO GS-R from Singapore that he purchased new when we were living there)

One 5speed badge for all!!

The first generation Honda Civics (1973-79) which were fitted with a 5spd tranny from the factory also have this exact same 5spd badge, so does the first generation Honda Accord (you know the one that's a hatchback...

Funny

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
I found these while digging through a 240K parts manual.

Note the badges NOT marked "AST" for Australia!

(same pics, different part ident. list)

Yep. Australia got 240K GT's but they were badged as GL's due to the GT paranoia that was going on at the time, which was alro responsible for the canceling of the Falcon GT phase 4 and the torana XU-2. Supposedly it was also cheaper to insure a GL than a GT. Though most insurance companies regarded any 2 door version of a sedan a sports model and upped the premiums accordingly, even for the 120Y 2 door.

For some reason the K I just bought has 240K GT interior door emblems. (all the exterior emblems are missing).