IGNORED

Auto>Manual Conversion - what to replace?

Alfadog

Hi Kent - will try to do that. I know everyone says it's easy but I can't help but feel I'm delving in a bit blind... so hopefully some pictures or reassurance or something will help others. :)

Hi Peter - glad to know you and your family are back safely. Welcome back to the HEAT. I haven't done it yet :embarrassed - I have excuses but they're not worth much. I bought a couple of big jacks today though (want as many as possible under that rust heap) so it IS on my mind. THANKYOU for the contact with Mr. Berry. That's the guy I was thinking of. I'll give him a ring tomorrow to see if he can sort me out.

Thanks for the offer to help too! I will let you know when I finalise when it'll be.

Alright guys I now have the clutch kit and all new bushes for the gearstick (except one which should arrive soon). I tried getting the spigot bush but the guy at Repco said he needed to know what size etc. it was... Can anyone help me out with this one? Maybe I should go back to Nissan and ask there?

Right so looking through my service manual I see thatthe box is indeed a B-type. FS5W71B to be precise. The clutch that I do have is indeed 225mm. Does this mean I could use a 260Z 2+2 clutch instead (being 243mm)?? Would it be worth it? Standard vs. standard...

Hey Lachlan. IMHO, the best thing to do would be to plan to do the conversion on 2 separate weekends. On the first weekend, take out the gearbox, clutch and flywheel to see exactly what you have got. Then you can take the clutch in and check whether the 260Z (or others) will fit.

This also lets you inspect the condition of other bits (flywheel, throwout bearing, etc.) and also gives you time to sort everything out before trying to refit it into your car. Once you have everything 100% sorted, then you can plan to refit it all into your car.

Looks like I'll be OK for this Saturday, so should be over by 9 or so (unless you want me there earlier)

Peter

Hi Peter,

There is a "Nissan Cruise" event the following weekend you see! That's my major motivation. I think we'll take all the stuff out and check condition. If it's good (it seemed pretty good when we drove the car) we can go ahead, if there is something that needs to be replaced well... we'll deal with that when it happens! Good plan of attack though - don't touch the good car till we have all the bits necessary. Ideally I'd pull the box and get it rebuilt, but lack of job etc. sortof prevent that. Oh well

The other bush came in today, I'll pick it up soon. Does anyone know about the spigot bush / 260Z 2+2 clutch dealy?

9 is fantastic Peter I look forward to it :D

• 1 month later...

Hi FairLaddyZ47, I posted a large article explaining the whole process here - http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20145 - which may be of some help to you. NOTE However that this is for a Datsun 240K, not a Z. They share the same engine and transmissions are very similar though, so most of it is still applicable.

On Page 3 I have listed the costs involved