IGNORED

KNM I almost bought...

EricB

A couple years ago a 73 KNM came up for sale locally.

I've told you all about it before and the short of it is the guy wouldn't sell it to me for whatever reason or price...

Well after being in limbo for a while it went to another kid here in LA

The car's been dormant/worked on for a while and I've only just gotten new pics of it...

Website is here

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/737777

But the new engine pic is attached...

Not my cup of tea but still looks pretty crazy...

-e

post-1574-14150796196903_thumb.jpg

Why do you call them Ken & Mary, ken merri etc etc?

Please explain.

From what I've read (possibly not true) it was called that based on the "character" names in a Nissan commercial for the Skyline back in the day.

I cant find definitive answers but a lot of references to the above statement.

Its kind of a generic statement to the effect of "This is Ken and Mary's Skyline, you could have one too."

FWIW,

Chris

Strange. I've only heard them being called Ken and Mary Skylines by Americans, and the car was never sold in America.

Correct you are. It was a Japanese TV commercial. I don't really know how us Yanks got hooked on the terminology. Wishfull hoping?

Chris

Chris is on the mark. It was a large series of commercials that continued the whole "Skyline of Love" theme - ie the car was built for enjoyment and living comfortably. It was a tremendous success in Japan, and as such the car got nicknamed "kenmeri" or "Ken & Mary" Skyline. Similar to Hakosuka or Godzilla, though their names were less romantic...

Alan told me that the actors for Ken and Mary in the ads changed a LOT, though Ken seemed to change more... here is a picture, this is the "Mary" that I think Alan has the hots for!! :tapemouth

post-1243-1415079620038_thumb.jpg