IGNORED

Axle boots

tanny

You realize you have to take them apart right? The c-clamps were so difficult for me to remove I had to take them to a driveshaft shop. They had clamps to put on that fit fine. Otherwise hose clamps will work though the ones they ended up using for me were a special clamp that sort of crimp on. Here's a pic.

michael

post-1656-14150796072303_thumb.jpg

Some food for thought.....I would not recommend using hose clamps for this application!!! Think about it, you would be adding excentric rotational wieght to the drive axles. This may cause an out of balance situation! A couple of words of caution, when disassembling the drive axles....place index marks on the two parts before disassembly as you want them to go back together the same, be very aware of the sequence in which the parts are arranged, DO NOT loose any parts as they are no longer available, and be sure to relube the assembly with the correct lube. Hope this is of some help!

What sort of clamps are they? If they are the usual type used on CV joint boots you don't need a special tool. Simply pull the end through the loop hard, bend the end right back and cut off the surplus. Easy peasy :)

Thanks for the advice everybody. I was wondering whether the clamp weighed enough to cause any significant balance problem. Don't really want to experiment and have to take the axles apart again. Didn't realize that the C-clips would be that difficult to get out. I'll have to think about whether I really want to replace the boots. The old boots are in great shape, was just going to replace them because I have the axles out. Thought it would be a good idea to regrease them also. Is there a way to grease them without taking the the axles apart, or would that be pointless? Thanks, Victor.