IGNORED

New exhaust system & Im not that happy!

TTDRIVER

Hello Everyone,

I just had Morse Muffler shop in Burbank Ca. fabricate the exhaust system on my 73 240z, and I'm not that pleased with the exhaust tone. Morse muffler however did a beautiful job fabricating the system. I have the MSA 6 into 1 coated headers, 2 1/4 inch piping into a SS Magnaflow oval muffler, with a single inlet single outlet muffler, and it sounds a bit like a bumble bee. I drove the car with just the headers before I had this setup ,and it sounded beautiful, but too loud. What can I do to make it sound more like a 60's & 70's era sports car?

Thanks,

Saro

I bought the MSA 6 to 2 headers with the "do it yourself exaust pipes and their Turbo muffler.

The muffler is sort of oblong shaped and not a circle type cylender so it stickes out below the car more than I would like but; It has a deep throaty sound and really gives out a powerful "race car" type sound when you rev up and especially when you down shift.

It is a bit loud but not as loud as I expect a glasspack would.

It still sounds like a Japanese car but not so much of a whine, more of a roar.

All you need to do to change your sound is change your muffler. I think it sound like your exaust is set up pretty good from the engine back to the muffler.

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the reply. That's what I'm thinking. If the tone keeps bothering me, I'll go with a different muffler. I was originally thinking of going with the piping and a resonator in the tunnel an running it straight through the back. I really liked the sound of the car runnig straight headers, but wanted to keep that tone but much more quieter.

Talk to Tim, Saro. I'll bet he'll adjust it. Does it sound that much different from mine? (also his work). I saw a truck come in with a compliant about the tone, and watched them dive it back on the rack.

P.S. - Does this mean your car is Running? Allright!!! the reward for your long hard work! Another Z in Victor's hood.

Hey Victor,

Hows it going? I really dont want to trouble him. But I'll go and ask for his opinion on a different set up. I cant really remeber your exhaust note much but mine kinda sounds like a deep civic with very light buzz. I'll just go back and ask to see what they suggest. But at the moment, I have a bigger problem with my car than the exhaust note. Every time I turn on the headlights while ideling the car dies out. Oh well, I'm almost there. Can't give up now.

See you around soon Victor,

Saro

Saro, Tim's shop is not cheap, so, I know you paid good hard american benjemins for their work. Also, Tim's rep is important to him. The stock and trade of Hot Rod shops is their reputation. He WANTS you to answer the question:

"That sounds awesome! Where'd ya have it done?"

with,

"Morse Muffler in Burbank".

I used the Dynomax turbo muffler, and I really like the deep sound . I do get some resonance at around 1500 to 2000 RPM but not enough so that I can enjoy a conversation or a radio. My stuff is 2 1/2 '' and when I replace it I will go with the 2 1/4 . I may add a 28'' glass pack next to the tranny . As was posted above , the mufflers need to season in . I have only 500 miles on this one and I can see the difference , it is getting better. Gary I bought the muffler from Summit . Gary

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Victor,

Tim's work is amazing. He did such a nice job that It kind of makes up for the tone. As far as the glass pack, mine doesn't have one. It's just the headers with the piping to the muffler. I'm going to go back there this weekend and talk to him about some options.

Gotta thank you for recommending his shop. I've sent him a few customers ever since.

Thanks,

Saro