More Injector Questions

Mike

I'm probably going to make a purchase tomorrow unless someone

tells me that these injectors are bad. However, here are the

specs of the fuel injectors for my '75.

Aechlin (ecklin?) Fuel Injectors

by Dana Corporation

They are around $75 each at my local Napa shop. Courtesy will

sell original injectors to me for around $100 ea.

This is something I don't want to skimp. Someone told me that

the OEM FI's are Bosch.

What do you guys think?

100 sounds a lttle high to me, 75 sounds more like it. Did you price the replacement injectors at MSA? There old catalog lists them for 50 each, so I'm pretty sure they have gone up some but wonder how much.

Never heard of that brand from NAPA. Wonder what brand Auto Zone or Pep Boys (or any other chain store) could get if they can get them at all.

Just be sure they have the O-rings with them, or you'll have to buy them seperately!

I seriously doubt the injectors will provide much performance upgrade at all, that would come from a big throat throttle body or ECU improvements. Course there are the injectors for the ZX Turbo but they are in excess of 150 each.:eek:

Ditto...the actual 'brand name' of the NAPA's does not ring a bell--however, I have heard of many happy people with NAPA injectors in their Z's....You said cost was no object, but have you--or anybody else--tried the ACCEL injectors? I just noticed them in the JCWhitney cattledog (but I'm sure they are available anywhere ACCEL is sold) and they were like, $35, 45, and $55, depending on the size you need. They even gave a formula for figuring how big you need...sounded like a good price and ought to be a decent product. Anybody try?

steve77

Okay guys, thanks a bunch. I'll probably go ahead and buy the Napa injectors today. But, as per 2mZ's advice, I'll make sure they come with O rings! I'd hate to buy these just to find out that they don't come with the kit. I'll be stuck yet again.

Just as a reminder Mike. When you take the clips off the plugs on the injectors don't pull on them, use a pick or small screwdriver to GENTLY pry them loose. They get very brittle, and if you try to force them they will break and then it's time to buy new ones. Luckily MSA has replacements if you need them, plus the clips if one "flies" away.

There are two o-rings that go on the injector, the small one on the nozzle where it mounts into the intake, and a larger one where it mounts into the mounting block. Don't forget to check or replace the short lines on the rail at the same time, if you are going to the trouble of changing injectors you may as well replace these at the same time. Use fuel injection hose on them as they do have quite a bit of pressure in the rail. If they are bulging at all it's time to replace them.

Thanks Kieth,

Ya, I ended up purchasing the injectors today from Napa. I got a hell of a deal because they are holding a 25% off sale for the holiday weekend.

I also purchased O rings and the little gaskets for the retaining blocks.

And, yes, I broke a couple of the plastic clips on the electrical connector. Arrgh. :mad:

I am going to take some pictures of this whole experience and post a 'how to' article on the site. I just need to find my @#$@% charger to my digital camera. Luckily, my brother has the same camera and I can use his charger if I need it.

[m]

Oops, too late huh? Meant to remind ya in the first post, just got in a hurry.

Hmm, my camera is charged, too bad I can't get the darn thing to take a pic in focus. Guess I need to play with it some more, without messing it up! :eek:

Well, I got the 280z started today! The injectors were the main culprit. Not to mention the fact that all of the hoses were TOTALLY screwed beyond belief.

It looks like the previous owner might have replaced an injector (or two) and used regular fuel hose. BAD BAD. You must use high pressure EFI hose. Damn stuff is expensive. It cost me $5.10 per foot at Napa. :eek:

Anyway, I installed all brand new fuel injectors, hoses, and a new fuel filter. I also replaced all the bolts, o-rings, and gaskets.

The fuel rail was plugged and had little bits of black rubber in it. No wonder the injectors were plugged!! This car was sitting since 1985 and I'm sure the hoses eroded and became brittle in that time. When I attempted to start it by putting new fuel in the system... I'm sure many of those bits got stuck in the injectors.

She's online now and purrs like a kitten. She can sometimes idle rough, so, I'm looking into that. Other projects on this car include new brakes and flush out the braking system. I *HOPE* I don't have to install all new master/slave cylinders. But, considering the price I paid for it.... it won't be a big deal to buy these new items.

I'll probably have about $2,000 into it before I'm done. Not to mention that I also took my 15" Boyd rims with 50 series Falken tires and used them on this car. UGH! Looks like I'll be purchasing new rims/tires for my 240z resto project whenever that gets done.

post-4-14150792009563_thumb.jpg

Here's a shot with part of the fuel rail installed.

And, I must say, thank GOD I have a copy of the Zcar Microfiche CD!!! It came in handy for this project. After a few months waiting to get a fuel pump and fuel injectors, I forgot how to put it all back together. I simply printed out the assembly diagram from the CD, carried the paper out to my garage, and went to work. Shamless plug, but, it's a tool I'll use for all my Z projects.

post-4-14150792009787_thumb.jpg

Congrats, sounds like you now have one less project to do.

BTW, good thing you stated that that is you in the pic, some people might have mistook you for Bill Gates, not that you are a bit of a computer nerd, but you do look a bit alike in that shot. Too bad we all can't have his money if we looked like him. We would all go have our hair cut and be buying up glasses huh?LOL

Is it idling rough after a cold start? Did you check or replace the cold start valve (injector) in the front of the intake? It may be loaded up with the same junk as the rest of the injectors. It's basically your choke on the FI cars.