IGNORED

V8 Convertible

240kconvertible

I'm putting a 318 V8 in my convertible along with centrifungal blower, intercooler blah blah blah

thinking of upgrading using R31 struts, rack and pinion steering and braking assembly.

Does anyone know of any pro's and con's of this swap?

Does anyone have a better idea of parts to use for the swap?

I want to put a wrx diff into it has anyone done this?

Cheers andrew

Sounds great, if a little sacreligious but what the hell :D! I reckon itll blow the doors off pretty much anything else also. As for using a WRX diff, theres no point, to my knowledge, as WRX's use a derivative of the same diff in the stock 240k. You'd be better off using an R200 out of a 300zx turbo. However, im sure there's a few other members here with a bit more knowledge who'll pipe ups soon. More pics please! Cheers,

Tom

Years ago, I saw a 240K coupe with a P76 Alloy 4.4 V8 in it with P76 moulded Flares. He went that way because of the weight concerns of a cast V8 block. Using the leyland auto had it's problems fitting into the tunnel but was overcome. The shifter fitted into the standard console. The bloke used a R200 diff. On the plus side, he claimed that the handling was improved because of the better weight distribution. Rod Hatfield from Castlemaine Conversions may have a bell housing to change gearboxes or transmittions if you have problems with fitting or speedo cables.

Good luck, it sounds like a fun project.

Wow, a convertible c110... Did you do the conversion yourself? Any more pictures would be very much appreciated!

As for engine, sure it'll fit, a member here has a v8 in his - 440k is his username. Personally I'd rather stick with a Nissan engine but there's no real logic behind that choice. :)

nice car the convertible looks great

not knowing the 240k engine bay that well but id think it would be similar to a 240z if so the easy choice is a 350 chev JTR have a complete book on how to put a chev in a 240z or if u want a later motor can get kits to fit ls1 motors into 240z

as for diff just go witha r200 or if you really think u need it go a r230 (out of 300zx turbos and there cheaper than r200 but more work to fit)

some guys are fitting them to 240z now

mick

Some pics he send me.

Thanks Camo, I'm new to this computer stuff and wasn't able to figure out how to put photo's in (no pay outs please). Could you please put some on the Ozdat thread of the same heading?

I didn't build the car myself. It was built by a panel shop owner (george) around 1990 and engineered at the same time. It then never saw the light of day again until 2001 when the shop was sold. The new owners of the shop (who I knew) stored it for George but as he owed them money and had caused big problems with telstra they sold it to me to recover the money.

I bought it for $1000 and then stored it at mates garages and various grassy knolls until december 2004. When it came time to register it all I had to do was fix the carbies, do the head and reco the front calipers. I've had some fun in it got more yells and stares in the city one night than one of those red sporty roofless things from italy with a horse on the badge. Nearly got beaten up by some lebs for paying out convertible m3 they were in on same night actually.

Then one night I smoked a few hot ones and drank a few cold ones looked into the garage and realised I had a smallblock mopar sitting there, a centrifugal blower bigger than my head (my heads big) and a tired little datto nearly out of rego just gasping for more power.

I know the best V8 to put in would be the toyota or nissan all alloy V8 but I'd rather use what I have and get that old school sound happening. Plus it's quite cheap to get power from an old mopar. I've been assured of a horsepower per cube at the wheels N/A for 6k aus. It will be approx 390 cubes after being stroked. I'm not even guessing what the power will be with blower attached just going to wait and see.

Cheers Drew

I'd have a look at the frame. Years ago, a friend of mine built a V-6 Toyota Celica for the drag strip. He twisted the body. They kept trying to stiffen the underbody and almost ended up with a full frame . . . and still twisted the body. Needless to say, they gave up.

I'd have a look at the frame. Years ago, a friend of mine built a V-6 Toyota Celica for the drag strip.

It's pretty sound at the moment but I hear you. Before I put the V8 in, the front chassis rails will be strengthened. When the blower goes on and the engine is stroked I will be fitting a roll cage.

At the moment it will lift both wheels on one side when jacked anywhere between both wheels, makes it fun and smokey getting up steep windy driveways.

The engineers put 500kg inside it and lifted all the wheels up body deflection was minimal, on the skid pan no body deflection could be measured at all. It's heavier now without the roof. The whole car can be shook from the top of the a pillar without any flexing at all. A lot of steel has been added nearly a whole chassis worth it's 1240kg with all original parts from the factory.