IGNORED

Under hood rubber seals...

71ZZZZZ

Thanks for the info...my pics can be used as a what not to do. LOL

I was planning on putting on foam on the areas you mentioned but i am still aways from actually putting the fenders on. One more question...whats the best thing to use on the inside of the fender? I was thinking of just POR-15, but should i also use some sort of undercoating?

Thanks for the info...my pics can be used as a what not to do. LOL

I was planning on putting on foam on the areas you mentioned but i am still aways from actually putting the fenders on. One more question...whats the best thing to use on the inside of the fender? I was thinking of just POR-15, but should i also use some sort of undercoating?

Better yet, take a picture with the gasket going the right way.

As far as foam...I really try to stay away from it, except where it's the only thing that will work.

In the case of the underside of the front fenders, there are the 3 support pads up front as well as the one by the inspection doors and of course the fender side support that's attached to the body up by the door. Those areas require the foam for the ability to compress and expand. Make sure you use CLOSED CELL Foam. That prevents the foam from absorbing water like a sponge.

The metal seam that's all nice and straight and goes from the front point of the headlight scoops all the way to the cowl, is actually the support for the edge of the fender. That's the only area you really need to address with a secondary seal.

I would recommend what Wick Humble calls "Dum-Dum". Which is basically Strip Calking. This is basically a tar-based sealing material that will squish to conform to the shape to seal, and still somewhat adhere the two pieces without gluing them permanently as silicone or some other form of adhesive would.

As far as using POR, I heartily endorse it. I've used it myself, and if you look in my gallery you'll note that all black surfaces you see are in fact POR. I don't know that you would benefit much with an additional undercoat on top of the POR. Unless you are referring to Body Shutz, which is both an undercoat and an acoustic deadener. In that case, use it for it's acoustic properties and not it's dirt/dust/water protecting properties.

Hope this helps.

Enrique

I see you're in the PAC NW...actually unless it's our "rainy" season...no (you would laugh at our "team coverage" of rain... :laugh: ) but your point is well taken...I'll take a look before I go to paint...BTW looking at the pics ampsman did where would I check that flap, through the inner door jamb, under the the car? Not to be dense but since I don't have access to my car right now, I can't visualize this access...

(I like the look of the chrome trim headlight covers...what's with your headlights? Are they some lamp retro fit?)

The headlights were changed since I had one bad sealed beam bulb, they are called "Halo" Headlights and they mimic the style of the BMW lights. The amber bulb is connected in series with the park lamps.

I also like the OEM Headlight Covers. Sadly, they are now NLA and sets are selling for outrageous dollars. If I didn't like my set so much, I'd sell them just to get some money back.

The flap I'm referring to isn't visible in this picture as it hasn't yet been put back on the car, but if you look you'll note where it's supposed to go:

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2601&cat=500&page=1&sortby=v&sorttime=all&way=desc

Down at the bottom where the clear PVC tube fits between the front of the rocker panel and the back side of the fender support, you'll note a small flat edge. This is where the rubber flap mounts. It's made of the same basic rubber as a mud-flap on a Tractor Truck, and performs basically the same. It's purpose is to seal the back side of the fender support from the wheel splash, while still allowing the cowl drain to drain.

Unfortunately, it also helps hold in all the crud that washes out of your cowl and into this space.

If you'll look you'll see the flat space on top of the rocker panel. This is where all that crud flops down and collects. In time, it begins to break down and now you have decomposed crud sitting there. Believe me, it's a sure fire recipe for rust.

With the car up on a lift, or with the front end up a ways, lift the rubber flap, shine your flashlight in there and see if you can see any crud on the top of the rocker panel. If it's clean....you're good, if it isn't, clean it out.

The clear PVC hose is my solution to having the crud being deposited there. As you pointed out, I'm in the Pac NW, and we do get a lot of rain, last thing I wanted to do is to collect all the leaf debris behind my fenders. The tube allows the cowl drain to drain all the way below the fender and not behind it. (The clear PVC tube was cut AFTER the fender was put on, so that it wouldn't show from the side.)

Hope this helps.

Enrique

da***it...da**it...I was over at the mechanic's and was able to see the seal from up underneath the wheelwell...they're lookin' like dog earred pups, there's no contact with the fender at the front end of the seal by the light bucket...I'll talk with my paint guy and see how much extra it'll cost to pull the fenders...thanks for the tip ^^^ ...

:(

The headlights were changed since I had one bad sealed beam bulb, they are called "Halo" Headlights and they mimic the style of the BMW lights. The amber bulb is connected in series with the park lamps.

I also like the OEM Headlight Covers. Sadly, they are now NLA and sets are selling for outrageous dollars. If I didn't like my set so much, I'd sell them just to get some money back.

Enrique

Did those headlights "drop in" or did you have to augment the basic wiring? Would it be possible to connect the amber bulb in series with the turn signal?

Let's chat if you ever get tired of your headlight covers :)

Did those headlights "drop in" or did you have to augment the basic wiring? Would it be possible to connect the amber bulb in series with the turn signal?

Let's chat if you ever get tired of your headlight covers :)

The only modification I had to do was to the tabs that stick out the back of the housing (plastic) since they were too tall to allow the original headlight ring to hold the housing in place.

The wiring for the amber bulb was easy, two wires to hook up wherever you wished. I chose the parking lights, but you could just as easy choose the turn signal bulb. However, note that they're not the brightest, as they're only designed to accent the headlight. As such, I don't know how noticeable they would be if connected to the turn signal.

As far as the headlight covers....well, I have received a ton of compliments on them, and have had several standing offers to take them off my hands, so without being rude I'll just have to say....get in line! Seriously though, when I fell in love with the Z back in the 70's, the one I saw had them, as a result I can't imagine my car NOT having them.

I believe there are people working on reproductions, but the problem is in forming the stainless steel trim which holds the lexan in place.

Enrique