Sign in to follow this  
71ZZZZZ

Under hood rubber seals...

I'm in deep on my '71 resto and while looking through the parts catalog noticed two rubber sealing strips indicated for the sides underhood(where the hood mates to the fender lip)...I've been looking through manuals, miscellaneous pics, etc. to see where these seals should be installed...I haven't seen any pics yet showing these under the hood...I know about the hood to cowl seal but haven't seen any threads discussing these...

Does anyone know about or have these rubber seals on their ride? Thanks...

:beard:

Maybe those are the inspection lid rubber strips?

I saw those also...but these seem to run the length of the fender, starting from the inspection lid cut out to the nose...

I believe you are looking at the sealing strips that run UNDER the fender from up near the inspection lids down toward the headlight buckets. It is a seal that seals off the air channels that are under the fender. I don't have much experience with them, and when I took my 240Z apart they were missing, but they are shown in the parts diagrams. You can't see them without removing the fenders.

I believe you are looking at the sealing strips that run UNDER the fender from up near the inspection lids down toward the headlight buckets. It is a seal that seals off the air channels that are under the fender. I don't have much experience with them, and when I took my 240Z apart they were missing, but they are shown in the parts diagrams. You can't see them without removing the fenders.

Excellent, thanks for the confirmation...I thought they may have been for the purpose you described...I was trying to relate the description of that piece with the hood to cowl seal...it's very close...if my paint guy pulls the fenders, we'll see if I need to replace them, so one less thing to think about right now...thanks again.

Those rubber strips you're referring to are to keep the wheel splash from going up and over the fender frame support (inside of which is the fresh air vent tunnel).

If you look at them from the side, they should look like a tadpole. One edge will be "plumper" and the other will have tapered to an edge. There is also a lean, as if the tadpole were laying flat on one side. The flat side goes towards the engine and the "bumped" side faces the wheel.

There should be a series of clips that hold this rubber to the seam of the vent tunnel.

As far as "maybe" pulling the fenders, I would heartily recommend it as there is a high probability that you'll have crud back there.

2¢

Enrique

Only the 240Z and earlier models of 260/280Z ( up to 1976) had the air channels in the inner fender. After 1976 the air vents went to the cowl area.

But according to the VB catalogue, that part (59-122, 1 req'd) and the associated clips (59-170, 12 req'd) are for S30 70-78.

Thanks for the link!

Ditto! I'm in the process of bringing my '71 hatch back to life, so I'll be looking for all of those gaskets shortly. I believe it's considered a Series I hatch because of the 2 vents on the bottom??? Anyways, I didn't see these vents on that page. Are they still available? Later...Robert

Ditto! I'm in the process of bringing my '71 hatch back to life, so I'll be looking for all of those gaskets shortly. I believe it's considered a Series I hatch because of the 2 vents on the bottom??? Anyways, I didn't see these vents on that page. Are they still available? Later...Robert

There are several pieces to those vents. The exterior plastic grills can still be found reasonably easily NOS (new-old stock). Then there are the plastic tube/ducts inside the hatch that mate up to those grills. Those are much harder to find NOS, but it can be done. Used is easier. Then, there are clips that go over the pins on the grills, and hold the ducts to the grills, sandwiching the hatch metal between them. Those, I have NOT been successful in obtaining NOS. I also have not been able to obtain them used, but I haven't looked too hard. Anyone have 4 hatch vent clips to sell? :)

I thought we were talking about the fender seals and vent ducts under the hood, no?

thx

yes, but Red-eye brought up a question about the hatch vents, so I answered it.

yes, but Red-eye brought up a question about the hatch vents, so I answered it.

And I appreciate the answer, sorry for the OT...Robert

I have those seals and will do a test fit and take pics tonight to show how i think they are supposed to go on.

Outstanding...! Thanks for taking the time to do this... :classic:

You've installed it exactly reversed. See my post on this thread (#6).

The specific end of the rubber that you're showing there should be up by the passenger (Right) side of the car. The "flat" side of the gasket faces the engine.

After installation the "lean" of the gasket should be outwards AWAY from the engine and TOWARDS the tire/wheel.

The lean of the gasket is important because as the fender is mounted, it will compress against the underside of the fender, as it gets further compressed you want it to be pushed outward to direct any water BACK to the wheel plenum.

Additionally, you should bring the forward edge of the gasket down to where it meets the straight portion of the seam. This is so that there isn't any openings where the silt / spray from the front tire can kick up and into the drain hole for the top part of the vent tube.

If you let that drain tube on the top of that whole front support/ fresh air vent plenum get clogged, you will; regret it. That little hole by the very front (about 1/4" above the center of the "Y") is the ONLY drain for all of the water that splashes into the space between the hood and cowl, as well as between the side inspection doors and the cowl.

In fact, if you have enough gasket, mount it so that any excess is down towards the headlight. This will help keep the splash out from your engine compartment.

FWIW (Hopefully it's READ this time.)

Enrique

Those projections on the wheel side of the outer fender should have pads on them before the fender is put back on, so should the one in front of the inspection lid opening. I cut a couple of pieces of closed foam rubber strips and stuck them on. I bought the closed foam rubber at the local Ace hardware.

I also ran a strip of the foam along the outer edge of the filler panel between the inner & outer fender. It's the one right behind the tire, can't remember what it's called...

Hey guys...thanks for the posts in this thread...if my paint guy does decide to pull the fenders I'll make sure to be around to observe/photo all of the pad and gasket orientations before painting to have exact reference for replacements...at what point would one have to replace this seal? Since I'm in SoCal we usually don't get that much rain...

Replace if it's cracked, torn, or down and outright HARD.

As far as not having rain, that may be, but do you NEVER have any kind of water on the road that could be splashed up? Even just rolling through a small puddle will splash way up there and, if you don't have the gasket, INTO your engine compartment. You decide if it's needed.

As far as MAYBE removing the fenders....well, I think you're asking to ignore a potentially major problem down the road. The area behind the sheel, behind that portion of the metal that supports the fender is where the drain cowl empties. I'm willing to bet theres some kind of crud back there. At least get a good look in there by lifting up the hard rubber flap and shining a flashlight in there. Remember, this area is one of the "typical" rust areas of the car. You decide if you should check it now, while repairing the damage would be quick and easy, or waiting till you have to cut and weld new metal.

2¢

Enrique

I see you're in the PAC NW...actually unless it's our "rainy" season...no (you would laugh at our "team coverage" of rain... :laugh: ) but your point is well taken...I'll take a look before I go to paint...BTW looking at the pics ampsman did where would I check that flap, through the inner door jamb, under the the car? Not to be dense but since I don't have access to my car right now, I can't visualize this access...

(I like the look of the chrome trim headlight covers...what's with your headlights? Are they some lamp retro fit?)

Thanks for the info...my pics can be used as a what not to do. LOL

I was planning on putting on foam on the areas you mentioned but i am still aways from actually putting the fenders on. One more question...whats the best thing to use on the inside of the fender? I was thinking of just POR-15, but should i also use some sort of undercoating?