IGNORED

Aging Man with an Aging Car -- I need help

wm_e_smith

Here's the latest -- I wanted to go to the convience store about a hundred yards away - Sub-freezing temperature. Car started good, I sat for awhile until oil pressure built up. then pulled out. After that I noticed, car was spittering and sputtering again. Thinking that maybe if it warmed up, it'd be ok. I left it running while in the store but when I came the car was not running. It easily started and took me back home but the problem was still there.

A thing that really bothers me is that I noticed a, what i would call excessive, white smoke from the rear view mirror from the exhaust but then went away. I have had head gaskets and heads in the past to discourage me from hanging on -- please say something that will not discourage me.

Checking the level will tell you whether or not coolant level is low :)

Check it whenever you suspect a blown head gasket, cracked block or more mundane things like bad hoses or gaskets. Check it to make sure your next drive isn't your last. Check it just to be safe. JUST CHECK IT :) (Once a week)

I cant speak for others here but the only time I would retorque the head bolts is after putting the head back on (for whatever reason-valve job, head gasket etc.). I would initially torque it, run it up to operating temperature, torque it again and forget about it until the next time the head needs to be removed.

• 5 months later...

I am trying to come alive again after the winter, broken hip, recuperating, etc. I want to buy a fuel pressure regulator. Advance auto says it will cost $49, NAPA says it will cost $68, an internet parts place says $65 plus shipping etc. Should I assume the more it costs the better it is or should I go for the $49 one?

I need to catch up on the history of this thread, but how did you come to the conclusion that you need a fuel pressure regulator? Did you test the fuel pressure, as per the FSM? I thought that we conlcluded that you needed a fuel pump check valve.