IGNORED

Solex Solex Solex

satolsa

We do have a vendor who specializes in rebuilding and restoring Mikuni/Solex Carbs

Wolfcreekracing.com

However, you do not have Mikuni/Solex pph 40mm, You have European Solexes, so Todd at wolfcreek may not be much help. Your carbs are from a Mercedes, fitted to a nissan L-6 manifold. Talk to Todd anyway, cause he may know just who to put you in contact with.

Here's the link to your photo

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=16292&size=big&cat=500&page=1

"you do NOT have Mikuni/Solex pph 40mm, You have European Solexes. Your carbs are from a Mercedes, fitted to a nissan L-6 manifold."

Finally someone could identify the secret root of my SolexSolexSolex....

What?!!... Mine is NOT?!!! Not Mikuni/Solex? (I already knew.) or Not phh? (That I didn't know!) They are not phh sidedraft?!! They are not performance carbs?!! They are for Mercedez?!!! This one hurts me big time....

I don't know where in the world ex-owner got these from. I still remember his name. Some of you might know about him. I wish I could mention his name here. He used to live N. Hollywood CA. MyZ used to be Orange w/Black BRE style stripes. Does someone recognize this??? If any of you have an good idea whom I am talking about. Please send me private email. I cannot locate the guy.

In Addition, I too suggest the SU route. Side drafts are far from "Plug and Play". As others have stated Solex's/Mikuni's/Webers/Delotoros really do need dialing in with o2 sensors and, ideally dyno time. Make no mistake, the SU's are also High performance carburetors

I found a memeber. He has 240z with triple Mikuni. He might be able to guide me! He is ZIII! He has triple Mikuni for 23 years. He never has problem! He tried Hitachi, SU befor Mikuni. I found a memeber. He has 240z with triple Mikuni. He might be able to guide me! He is ZIII! He has triple Mikuni for 23 years. He never has problem! He tried Hitachi, SU befor Mikuni.

Look. By the way how do you all past images here?

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=13208&cat=500&page=1

Today I washed dirt off my Solex Solex Solex with Cleaner. And then I found out that it was not PHH it was ADDHE. Solex C.40 ADDHE. This is shocking. They are commonly used for Lancia and Alfa Romeo. Italian carbs for Italian cars.... I am doomed. There was a guy posting a question about difference between PHH and ADDHE. Noone replied... But my Z was running with them before!

• 1 month later...

Ok for what its worth --i know rochesters not solex --but -but --what i would do if i had your trouble is this find out exactly what carb set up came on your Z from the factory ( assuming your engine is all stock meaning -not re built with hot rod mods (like big cams ect..) find these carbs (used)and the proper intake if needed (not sure) send them to a quality carb rebuilder -try the "carb shop "in orange calif -these guys are great with carbs--- get em back-- have your mech. bolt em on set em up thats it -problem with preformance carbs is that --simply-- if your engine isnt set up to take em they dont work- big jets, too much fuel, incorrect floats, incorrect idle system, ect ect.. other wise if you wanna use the solex's you got- youd have to re build them to the proper specs to run your stock engine -in other words theyre too big!! biggers not always better -LOL-thats why "preformance "carbs dont always preform ---wrong application. The factory engineered the stock carbs to match the engine -hope this helps

Putting a carb on an engine is kinda like asking what kind of wine do you have with fish...any kind of wine you want the fish doesn't care...it's dead. In reality, it doesn't matter that the solex' were made for Lancia or Ford or whatever. If it bolts up and meets the basic requirements of your engine it will work and can work very well. Carbs ,sidedrafts or downdrafts, operate on the same basic principles. If the carb(s) is flows too much cfm or fuel for the engine requirements at given rpm's it won't be functional except at maybe WOT. Bigger carbs do not make bigger power by themselves alone. I'm not familiar with Solex but I make the assumption that the PHH is the non-emission (racing) carb while yours is drilled to allow more air across the transition from idle to WOT reducing emissions on production cars. That is not a big deal in a street car and many track cars. It could be a blessing if your exhaust is sniffed during inspections. What you never told us was did the car ever run or run decent with this setup. Did it? Do you suppose the PO installed these without tuning and sold out because it ran like crap? Every piece in these carbs has a number on it. You need to disassemble one carb, at a time, and write down these numbers as they apply to specific pieces. This includes the casting number of the carb bodies. If they do not match in all three carbs you need to address that first. Did you replace all of the gaskets? Where did you get the kit? Maybe that would be a good first source for more info. The reversion to SU's is viable and easy to accomplish but the triple look is great and the sound stirs the soul. The triples can be made streetable with the proper chokes, jets, etc. You may be very close already or way the hell off. It sounds crazy but try your local book store or library. I find information much quicker there than on the web. The web is a big place though...type in 'solex' in various search engines and do a LOT of reading. You will probably find some basic tuning principles that will point you in the right direction. As for bits and pieces and additional info search for Alfa and Lancia forums. The truth is out there.

Ok to clear it up I meant to say if you want to use the "solex "carbs they need to be rebuilt to suit your application --meaning there not original for your Z so they were meant to run some other motor --theyre jetted -rodded and the idle system is set up to run what they (the solexcarbs) were intended to run--My long winded point put simply if you took a tri power set up from a 66 pontiac gto threw( god only knows how ) it on a plymouth with a slant 6 it aint gonna work too well --see what i mean

I think everyone understood where you were coming from. No insult intended so I hope none was taken. I was merely pointing out a bit more detail then had been covered. I've seen guys drop huge carbs on stock V8's and scratch their heads wondering why it spit and sputtered. Compromise is the way of life. Triples can run on a stock engine but don't look for 6K rpm runs or tune triples for a H.O. L6 and expect a smooth 650 rpm idle. We don't know if these carbs ever performed within reason on this engine...as such we're all making educated guessed at best. :stupid:

I agree with both previous posters. Your are not doomed with having carbs from Alfa and Lancia. I have a set of triple Dellorto 48's (going on 3.1 ltr) that I stripped totally. These carbs were most probably from a Lotus engine (pair of carbs) and then they were put on a L series engine with another carb. The jetting when I stripped them was not even right for the 2.4 they came from to me, let alone mine. As mentioned before totally strip, make notes of numbers of the parts and do some homework. With the proper jets and setup they will run fine.