IGNORED

Tie down hook color?

MikeW

What color were the rear tie down hooks - those mounted in conjunction with the bumper bracket - originally on a 240Z? I took mine off years ago but recently found one in an old tool box and would like to clean it up and put it back on.

The tie downs were black.

Excellent. I just painted it black.

Is it true there was one on both sides? The one I have hooks down to the left so I assume it goes on the right side. On the front of the car - on the left - there's a different tie down that's a ring. What was on the right front?

Hi Mike!

The ring on the left front frame rail is the towing ring for the car. The hooks, and it escapes me presently which one goes where, were shipping tie-downs - semigloss black with plated bolts. My chassis manual, page GI-11, Figure GI-11 says the tow ring has an "admittable load of less than 2,205 lbs. (1,000 kg)". I guess that means if it weighs more, don't admit it. It also says to avoid shock loads to it.

I think the tie-down hooks go on the right front and left rear, but I am pretty sure there is only one on the back.

26thZ wrote:

I think the tie-down hooks go on the right front and left rear, but I am pretty sure there is only one on the back.

Actually there were two on the rear. They were designed the same. The front had the ring shaped bracket on the left side and a hook on the right front. If you need pictures let me know.

Bob

Its questions like these that always throw me for a loop. I go scrambling off to my shop to have a look. But the shop is a good twenty minutes away. Looking through some of my literature though, page 70 of Brian Long's "Fairlady to 280Z" shows a pair of hooks on the rear. In addition, the pictures in "Fairlady - vol.1", Neko Publishing, show two rear hooks on the 1969 S30S, 1971 S30, 1971 HS30 and HS30S, and the 1971 HS30H. Unfortunately, none of the pictures are clear enough to see the hook in the right front. All the pictures of the rear hooks show them facing inward. Finally, my disclaimer, none of these pictures are HLS30 American export cars. So for what its worth....

I'd like to see the pictures if you get a chance. I wonder if there were any variations here throughout the production run?

Here are a couple of pics of the tie downs. These are the fronts.

Bob

post-2127-14150795553007_thumb.jpg

post-2127-14150795553423_thumb.jpg

....... Finally, my disclaimer, none of these pictures are HLS30 American export cars. So for what its worth....

One reason why you may not see the hooks, except the tow hook, on US cars is because the dealer was supposed to remove them during PDI. Some dealers did and some not.

Here is a pic of the rear one.

Bob

post-2127-14150795553775_thumb.jpg

Hey Bob

Hard to tell from your shots, but is there any shape difference between the front and the rear tie down hooks; ie are the front and the rear hooks the exact same part?

I have two fronts and no rears and was considering attempting to mount my spare front to my rear. The bolt for the rear bumper bracket doesnt seem to be long enough though to accomodate both the bumper bracket and also the spare front tie down hook which I have.

Im thinking there may be some kind of subtle difference between the front and rear; if anyone can confirm anything here it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joseph

Hey Bob

Hard to tell from your shots, but is there any shape difference between the front and the rear tie down hooks; ie are the front and the rear hooks the exact same part?

Thanks

Joseph

The right front is a different shape from the two rear. The hook opening looks larger in the front, but I haven't actually measured them. They do have a different angle on them where they mount to the car. I can see if I can get a better shot but the rears are tucked up under the bumper so it is difficult to do without taking them off.

Have a great day!

Good luck on your hose quest.

Bob

Hello Bob

Many thanks for the reply and the info. After posting my query I got digging through what seems to now be my archives of pictures I have and came across this (see attached). It was borrowed from an ebay auction a while back, I think it was from a Cybersanford listing.

Anyway, it was described as a full set auction.

Joseph

post-3014-14150795560328_thumb.jpg