IGNORED

If there is a better looking Zcar, please show me.

spudea

Where my loyalties lie? Oh man, had to get a good laugh out of that one. I don't have brand loyalties. I think brand loyalties are stupid and lame, especially when it comes to cars. The whole concept of "how could you put xx engine into a Z?" makes me laugh. Allow me to present an example of 3 people groups:

regular omnivores

vegetarians

vegans

Omnivores eat from all food groups. They're ok with salads, meat, chicken, fish, eggs, milk.

Vegetarians don't eat meat, but eat dairy products

Vegans are nutjobs that won't touch anything that is animal or animal byproduct. no milk, cheese, butter, etc. they look down on vegetarians as much as on omnivores

How this relates to Z owners? Like this:

omnivors are like your regular run of the mill Z owners, including hybrid Z owners.

vegetarians are like people who stick to swapping only nissan components into Zs

vegans relate to absolute purists who gag on the thought of anything other than OEM parts on a Z. Who will also look down on the thought of an L28 in a Z

IMO, when you swap an engine into a Z, it's no longer original. Doesn't matter if it's a nissan motor, chevy, etc. As long as it's not OEM, it's now a hybrid. I will never understand purists who maintain the Z must remain original with all nissan equipment. I can understand a full factory restoration and admire it, but that's about it.

Back to where my loyalties lie... Seeing as how I defend chevy, ford, and rotary swaps... I simply can't bear the thought of anything but an L24 in a 240z. :)

I think your assumptions are wrong.

sidenote: nissan had a prototype 2 rotor datsun 240z in the early 70s. Just like Ford had a 2 rotor mustang, chevy had a 2 and 4 rotor corvette prototypes, and such. The oil crisis that followed forced other manufacturers to abort rotary research since rotaries are't known for fuel efficiency

u know. I dont think it really matters what in there. Its ur car and u should have whatever u want in there. I think thats the bottom line. WE have all fell in love with the look of this car. We just want to add our diffrent touches to it. Wether its FULL OEM or a little off of OEM or a full on engine swap. Basically its ur car. DO as u please.

I can understand both points of veiws. For my love of euros i often want to ditch the L24 and just drop a s52, m20, or s14 engine in there and jsut call it a day. But then theres something also there for me that would make me feel alot better when i open the hood and u see that the original engine is well maintained and still running as if it was new off the line.

I don't hate Mercedes, They have made many usefull additions to automotive history, I just have never been taken with them.

After that rotary is in and running right, are you going to add a second engine-you have the room!

Will

I know just messin with ya. I just found that, that was the perfect moment to keep our on-going war of "Your benz will keep the dust off the garage, when the z is done" still going. :P

:classic: Matt :classic:

BTW auxilary, u know what would be really cool for that engine? If you twin turbo it. Use 1 turbo for 2 cylinders and then another 1 for the other 2 cylinders. You would probobly have to fabracate another exhaust manifold. And u can just have one small turbo (to kick in at low RPMS) and then a big turbo (to kick in at high RPMS). I dont know if this would be good for drivability but it would be really cool. Here is a link to someone who is doing this. Its a BMW M20 motor (e30 325i engine inline 6) Its not quite what u would be doing but its still cool. I am still thinking of pulling off something like this for my car.

THis guy is in the middle of the project and is showing updates and some ideas of how he plans to pull it off. HEs using the turbos from a z by the way.

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6526&highlight=twinturbo

As you can see the new thing with old skool bimmers is turbo. Its got alot of potential and if done right can be used as a daily driver.

I think ur car is gona be so so so nice. Keep me updated.

LOL. Rotaries don't have cylinders. Kinda kills half of your idea :) Here's a basic diagram how a rotary functions:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/rotary-engine7.htm

DSCF0003.sized.jpg

turboparts4.jpg

It came with a twin turbo from factory as you can see above. A small turbo for low boost (starts boosting at 2krpm) and a larger turbo to switch over at 4000 rpm. Sequential turbos tend to go out of order, costly, and more expensive to maintain.

I opted to convert to single because of those reasons, and especially since the twin turbos don't clear the frame rail on the Z

actually there was a guy by the name of Turbo Tom (he recently passed away) who used to make Tom's turbo kits for the L24. It was a carb'd turbo setup that made some pretty good power (around 230-250 at the crank) from the L24.

actually there was a guy by the name of Turbo Tom (he recently passed away) who used to make Tom's turbo kits for the L24. It was a carb'd turbo setup that made some pretty good power (around 230-250 at the crank) from the L24.

hmmm. Damn, do u know of anyone else who makes a kit?

Is OHC design better than OHV? In today's world with computer controlled EFI, it is. For ease, reliability, cost, and simplicity, OHV wins. We won't count 80s GM and Ford motors, because they're all piles of crap. Especially ford 3.8L v6s that are prone to blow head gaskets when you sneeze.

ROFL It's true!

Every mechanic I know hates that engine! My dad's pushed his 3.8 v6 driven Sable up past 170k miles though with a head gasket replacement only once... He's also very proud that his ginger driving has earned him the right to say he's never replaced the tranny once... ever... and it's still going!

Anyway, that's waaaay off topic here, but I just felt like sprinkling that in anyhow.

<*presses the Z-Car relevant chat un-pause button*>

**** that Twin Turbo q45 Z. I'm sick of seeing it. I don't care how cool and nifty it looks, it's more played out than chinese prostitute. I've seen that car posted more than Darius's videos, and not a week goes by when some newbie pops up on hybridz and goes

"WHOA! Check out this blue Z with a twin turbo v8!!!!!!"

Of course, we forego the fact that it was posted on hybridZ first by the guy that runs the site, Erik Neyerlin (he actually lives out close by me)

Oh and of course, I won't mention that this car ALREADY got posted in this thread :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

*steps off soapbox*