IGNORED

Looking for a RHS 240Z mirror?

ZSaint

I am looking for stock mirrors. I have a '71. If this is an option on a '72, no big deal. I can use them in good conscious. I have a set of the bullet mirrors but I really want a 240 Z mirror. These look like they will do. You say they fit into the stock holes in the driver door? I can drill the holes for the passenger door? I think some of the 280Z mirrors were plastic, correct? I will look for a set of these metal racing mirrors. I look forward to rebuilding them for my car. I did Mopar A-Body mirrors but the plating go too expensive to make any money at it. I quit doing all of the work for a few bucks. Now I just work on my Datsun. It is a full time job! :knockedou

It appears to be the same, but it should be considered as "mirror parts" and not a complete "mirror", IMO.

First, there is no way to tell if the housing pivot is "tight" or "sloppy", and there is no way to tell if the "glass" adjustment is still functional. With the seller claiming it is a driverside mirror, I'm suspicious that one or both of the adjustment features are non-functional.

Be advised there is no specific "driver-side" or "passenger-side" to these mirrors. A set has two of the exact same mirror assemblies with two protective pads, two mounting brackets, and four machine screws.

Second, it does not have the plastic protective pad that goes between the mirror mounting arm and the car to protect the paint and door skin. It also does not come with the bracket that goes inside the door and is used the secure the mirror mount screws (in effect, clamping the mirror securely over a large area, not just at the screws).

The picture attached shows a complete mirror for one side of the the car. (Note: In the picture, the screws are installed backwards in the mounting bracket, the screw heads are ment to be inserted into the mirror base, through the door skin and then thread into the convex side of the bracket)

I did enjoy your perusal of this mirror. Sometimes we get excited about a ebay buy and do not take these type of things into consideration. It is a nice service that the forum provides. Thanks for the info!

Carl S.

Thanks for the link to George's Mirror Repair Page... great idea...

ZSaint wrote:

.....""You say they fit into the stock holes in the driver door? "....

As I recall, either the front or rear screw on the Racing Mirror utilizes the original hole for the stock mirror. Then you have to drill one additional hole for the Racing Mirror. Nonetheless, the Racing Mirror covers both original holes in the drivers door. On the Right Door, you have to drill two holes for the Racing Mirror of course.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl Beck

Clearwater, FL USA

http://ZHome.com

I did enjoy your perusal of this mirror. Sometimes we get excited about a ebay buy and do not take these type of things into consideration. It is a nice service that the forum provides. Thanks for the info!

I learned my lessons the hard way on buying these mirrors through eBay. It took me quite some time to acquire enough "parts" to make complete mirrors, and the "pads" & "mounting brackets" are even rarer than the mirrors themselves. I am still in the market for parts to try to make another complete set, but I no longer bid as high as I used to (having been burned a few times).

Still, if you want these mirrors, IMO, you have to start collecting parts somewhere, sometime.

Carl,

You are worth all of the ten characters in the world...

Will

Aw shucks, you're some number of characters yourself, Will :D

• 1 year later...

I know that this thread is old but in searching for some information on the different mounting of LHS vs RHS standard door mirrors, I stumbled across this thread.

OK, to put to bed the availability of RHS door mirrors as of the 13th of November 2006, in my exhaustive searching in NZ and "people in the know", they are no longer available, from Nissan New Zealand or in Japan. Maybe in Aussie but I very much doubt it.

I will have to buy a LHS mirror and flip it over to use on RHD 240z. No big issue as I won't run a LHS one anyway. I'll just have to nail it for longer to be able to see the car in my rear view mirror, tiz all. Never exceeding the speed limit officer of course (cough cough).

So, save yourself time, don't even bother looking as you will not find them easily, if at all.

Happy hunting.

So a pair of mirrors were advertised and sold on ebay last week for about AUS$76 - I posted that auction in another mirror thread and notified some previously interested members by PM.

Now we have this current listing for what looks to be an identical pair of mirrors but with a slightly different description.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140051804823&rd=1&rd=1

Those are not 240Z mirrors(at least not for cars delivered in the USA). The only side mirror a 240Z destined for the USA came with was a 96301-E4600 on the left door. Any thing else was a dealer, or previous owner replacement...

I have hunted all the corners of the earth for a true Rh version of this mirror, and Nissan never released one, several people have rotated the flag to approximate one, but a study of the base or stalk will show that the angle of the rh is same on the rh and lh examples, proving the rh is the lh used differently.

I have phone made phone calls to every english speaking parts depot Nissan has, and initiated several language proper calls to most of the non english speaking ones as well. I have contacted Nissan North America, The Nissan Museum, and verified every parts book I could find to come to this conclusion.

I will have an avaiable answer or this problem next year-once again, as my car get ready for the street. ( I haven't forgotten, Victor!)

WIll

P,S, both of those in the picture are LHS. for now...

post-4106-14150798846142_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Gidday Will,

Interesting that you write that Nissan never made a RH version of the mirror. A car dealer in Dunedin recenty rebuild a 71 240z and with his excellent contacts in Japan, found a NOS set. That is what he told me anyway. The only way to be sure is to look at them on the car from the front and see if I notice any stalk angle differences. That will have to confirmed next Feb when we all meet up again.

I concur with Will with regard to those mirrors listed on ebay.com.au as not original units that came out on the 240z in the US.

Just for your info, my HS30-00352 was imported into Aussie and then shipped over here to NZ in 74. Someone put ugly ZX door mirrors (or similar) on it and painted them with a paint brush....:( ! The car had fender mirrors originally as there are crude front guard repairs where they would have been.

So JDM verisons had front guard mirrors and US ones got the ones shown above in Will's post. I wonder what UK, Aussie and NZ Nissan show room cars got as standard? Anyone know???? Any pics?

James