IGNORED

FIA calipers, should i buy?

Jayru

Hey Alan,

Just curious, at the time when the vented Mk63 was available did Nissan produce some bespoke rotors for that application or were those vented ones off of another exisiting car? Obviously the 4x114 300ZX hadn't yet been made and I wonder what they used... Did the KPGC10 & KPGC110 Skylines have vented rotors up front?

-e

I wonder if these vented rotors, ment for the mk63's would fit with the toyota calipers. Do they have the same offset as the stock solid rotors.

Thanks.

Ahmed

Hi Eric,

The Sports Option lists carried both solid and vented discs to go with the solid and vented disc versions of the MK63 4-pot calipers.

There were 'early' and 'late' types of disc to suit the 'early' and 'late' front hubs ( 'hat' depth being different ).

PGC10, KPGC10 and KPGC110 Skyline GT-Rs had solid front discs and two-pot calipers as stock fitting.

Ahmed,

Yes, they probably would match up with the Toyota calipers. However, its academic now. NISMO don't make them anymore. Prices of NOS pairs are sky high in Japan when they turn up.

Peugeot 505 GTI vented discs are a good alternative, and only need a different disc-to-hub PCD drilling mod to make them fit.

Here's a pic of my NOS discs before I fitted them to the 432R replica project car:

post-2116-14150795085698_thumb.jpg

Ahh, that's too bad.

would you know what year 505 GTI to use?

Are they a 4 bolt or 5 bolt pattern?

Thanks

Ahmed

I just have to figure out how to get them in Canada.

The most common set up here is to use 300zx rotors with an aluminum spacer.

Thanks

Ahmed

Alan,

Thanks for the PICs this helps alot - re the rotors I was thinking about the Peugeot rotors all those years ago but went the 300zx with spacer path as I now don't have to get any new rotors machined once I had the spacers made.

Ahmed - I have just looked up the DBA catalogue I have on my PC (PDF format) and the here is the info

post-7025-14150795086068_thumb.jpg

post-7025-1415079508635_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the information Mike.

I was wondering what Alan meant by

"only need a different disc-to-hub PCD drilling mod to make them fit"

Would I have to enlarge the hub centric hole or would I have to relocate the four mounting holes or maybe both.

Thanks again

Ahmed

I believe the 4 holes need redrilling - the peugeot rotors are much closer to the original vented rotor for the Mk63 vented capiler. I am going by memory here (as my doc are in storage) so Alan please chime in and correct me. I believe the original rotors were the following spec.

272mm diameter

20mm thick

43.5mm hat for later 260z hubs

81mm centre bore

4 holes at ???

The 300zx is as shown above but I will repeat here

274mm diameter

22mm thick (these are a bit thick for the new pads I got so I had to get .5mm taken off the pads by the brake machinest)

35.5mm hat (so I had a 8mm space made and used longer bolts)

81mm centre bore

4 holes at ??? same as the hub

The peugeot 505 vented rotor

273mm diameter

20mm thick

43mm hat

76mm centre bore (will need taking out to 81mm - but check first)

4 holes at ??? will need redrilling as not the same

So I should have gone the peugeot rotor path as I would not have had to buy extra bolts, spacers etc but I didn't go down this path, I would need to get new rotors machined when ever I replaced them - I don't think that would be that often as my car when it comes back onto the road will not see too much track time so they should last a long time.

Never know I still might do the peugeot thing next time I come to replace the rotors as 300zx 4 bolt rotors are becoming harder to get here in NZ these days.

I didn't know that DBA made a version of the Peugeot disc Mike, so that's really useful reference for the future. I know a DBA distributor in the UK, which will be handy. Thank you for that.

Ahmed,

The PCD change I mentioned to adapt the Peugeot disc is that of the holes through which the bolts that hold the disc onto the hub pass. This is not 114.3mm PCD ( that's the PCD of the wheel studs - which is not the same thing at all ).

The centre hole of the disc needs a very slight amount of machining to make it fit snugly on the Z hub, but its the re-drilling of the bolt holes that is the major operation. However, this is pretty simple as you just drill the four holes with the correct PCD in the space between the original Peugeot mounting holes.

I don't have the sizes for the centre hole and PCD to hand ( they are in my garage I believe ) but you can get them quite easily by measuring your original Z discs.

All the data that NZeder posted is good. I'll have to dig out that disc-to-hub PCD of the Peugeot disc, although to be honest it is immaterial to us as we know its wrong!

Cheers,

Alan T.

Thanks for clearing things up guys.

I can easily modify the rotors at work. I just have to find a supplier, that can get these rotors here.

I wonder if there's a demand for modified 505 rotors.

It would be much cheaper then buying 300zx rotors and then having a machinist turn/machine some spacers, not to mention the added hardware.

Ahmed