IGNORED

Now I don't feel so bad

Go240Zags

Clear Euro Signal Lights: Put in an early bid on these, because they were brand new and starting bid was only a buck. I had some used ones, but new would be nice. Now I don't feel so bad that I paid nearly $60 (shipping included) for two of these used straight from Austrailia. Lenses + housings, rather than just the lenses. They were kind of rough, but they polished up nearly perfect. I'll be happy with what I have and save my money for something else unique.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4535139342&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT

Does anyone know the story about these clear indicator lights? I know my car had them and a few others in Australia I've seen with them too, but not really anywhere else. I am assuming they weren't always aftermarket since they are "genuine Nissan stock"...

Does anyone know the story about these clear indicator lights? I know my car had them and a few others in Australia I've seen with them too, but not really anywhere else. I am assuming they weren't always aftermarket since they are "genuine Nissan stock"...

All to do with the Australian Design Rules again Alfa. All new vehicles had to have a clear or white light for parkers at the front, or rather you couldn't have a "traveling light" other than clear or white light displayed on the front of a vehicle.Amber was legal for indicators only. I had to put a 1970 Torana LC XU-1 over the pits. It was originally fitted with clear front parkers/indicators, but I had fitted amber lenses from the 72 model L J XU-1. The '72 models had a parking light incorperated into the headlight, the 1970 LC did not, so my amber indicator/parkers didn't pass rego ....until i either fitted the original clear lenses or the later model headlights with the little parking lights in 'em.

As the 240Z was around the same era I suspect the different colour lense issue has something to do with the ADR introduced around the same time.

Jim.

I suspect the different colour lense issue has something to do with the ADR introduced around the same time.

Thanks Jim, that sounds like it! So then, in America do your 240Zs' parking lights light up orange?

MY 72 has the clear lenses the 73 I used to own had a clear parker and amber turn signal split down the middle they were.

I prefer the clear ones myself :)

Gav, Were there two different colored (coloured) bulbs, one clear, one amber, or was the lens itelf two different colors? In U.S. we only have socket for one bulb built into the housing, but from other threads it seems that we just didn't get the parking lights that light on one side of car.

I believe on my 72 i have one socket but two filaments in the globe one for parker one for turn signal.

THe 73 had two different sockets from memory and the actual lens was amber for the turn signal and the other half was clear not the globes.

I'll have to double check on the 72 though.

I believe on my 72 i have one socket but two filaments in the globe one for parker one for turn signal.

THe 73 had two different sockets from memory and the actual lens was amber for the turn signal and the other half was clear not the globes.

I'll have to double check on the 72 though.

Here's a post on the JDM market cars and how their parking lamps worked on the Series I cars there. http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12021&highlight=parking+lights I will be putting amber bulbs in my Aussie clear lenses and maybe work on rigging up some sort of independeltly activated second bulb for the Japanese look and to fill the hole in my choke plate. Or maybe not. The ability to turn on the parking light on one side of the car isn't that important. I just thought the clear lenses looked unique here in the States. The extra hole in the choke plate would make a good spot for a driving light or fog light switch, of course there's always the indent above the hazard lights which I guess was designed for the fog light switch (as the wiring is already included in the harness). Could probably just use a second hazard toggle to turn on the fog lights.