IGNORED

VQ30 DET into 1974 260z

RP975

Thats good, plenums with runners are technical things to design, particularly to get uniform airflow to each cylinder.

The only general suggestion I have to make concerns battery placement. The Zed, unlike most front engined cars tends to be arse heavy, yours almost certainly will be so.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 260DET,

I have some photos of the plenum that I pressed this weekend. It is made from 3mm thick 5005 alunimium that was annealed first, and then part way through. We used a 20tn press and the frame for thisjig is made from hardwood, and so is the male part.

Robert

post-5523-14150795501861_thumb.jpg

post-5523-14150795502124_thumb.jpg

post-5523-14150795502413_thumb.jpg

post-5523-14150795502692_thumb.jpg

post-5523-14150795502937_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Richard,

I have had my engineer check what I have done and he is happy with it so far.

The next stage involves a lot of research which has been taking up my time for a while.

I have been looking into the 5 stub hubs and rear hub side of things and also whether to go with a nissan multi link rear suspension, poss R32 because of the cost involved with rear 5 stud hubs, cv axles r200 LSD, it seems cheaper to go with a complete rear r32 set up.

I have been down to see Vince's 240z with an R32 rear setup in it last Monday, he was kind enough to spend 4hrs with me showing me how he did the conversion which was great.

Before I go ahead with something I spend a fair amount of time looking into all the options.

I would rather be getting stuck into it but I have to be wise, patient and enjoy the ride.

I have recently bought some Recaro seats to put in and will be working on that soon. :ermm:

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, so sorry for bringing it up. Anyway, are there any updates Robert? The work so far is amazing. I'll be doing a similar swap in my 240z soon, so I was just wondering how this turned out.

Thanks

Jon

Hi Jon,

I have been busy with work for quite a while, so not a lot of progress.

I have a set of late model AU3 Falcon front vented rotors and calipers on custom 5 stud front hubs from Hoppers Stoppers in Aust.

The rears I have modified alloy XF Falcon rear brackets and calipers and I am using XD Falcon rear vented rotors.My Rear hubs have been redrilled to 5 stud and have a reinforcing girdle I suppose you would call it that sits behind the hub and has longer studs that locate into both.

I will try to post some pics.

I have mounted my Recaro seats as well.

I also have an R200 Vlsd with a nismo rear cover installed.

post-5523-14150800773389_thumb.jpg

post-5523-14150800774002_thumb.jpg

post-5523-14150800774595_thumb.jpg

post-5523-14150800775123_thumb.jpg

Hi Jon,

Templates might be difficult....

When the engine is out next time I will see if it is possible.

It might be better to measure up as you go, I could talk you through at each stage.

My engineer told me what he wanted as far as the mounting x-member and mounts went.I have some pics over at HybridZ as well which might be helpful.

Are you going to do a VQ swap?

Where are you and what Z do you have?

I'm also on HybridZ. Templates would be best because I've never made engine mounts or swapped an engine before. I'm doing this as sort of a learning experience. If you could help in walking me through I would appreciate it a lot. I'm going to be swapping in a VQ30DE from a 95 nissan maxima. Its going to have 350z cams, injectors, rods, crankshaft, intake, and 6-speed amnual transmission. With the rods and crank it will stroke it to 3316cc and increase compression to 11:1. I'm going to be swapping it into my 72 240z. I'm near Raleigh, NC (USA)

Thanks a lot

Jon

• 6 months later...