IGNORED

VQ30 DET into 1974 260z

RP975

This is my current project - putting a VQ30 DET into a 1974 260z.

zcar project

This engine is from a 1999 Nissan Cedric.

To put this engine in I have had to remove the exhaust which runs behind the engine and the turbo to fit the engine behind the x-member. Then I will have to have new exhaust manifolds made bringing the turbo in front of the motor.

The plenum had to be removed because it was too far off the back of the engine, so a new one will have to be made towards the front of the engine. I will have to make a new x-member and modify the engine and transmission mounts.

These are the dimensions:

From the back of the water pipe at the back of the engine to the front of the pulley bolts at the front with the fan off is 580mm.

The width without the manifolds and exhaust is 610mm.

The height without the plenum is approximately 700mm.

I will post more photos as I make progress.

There are also some photos in my photo gallery.

p.s - can anyone tell me how to post photos in a thread that are stored on my hard drive?? -thanks

Good stuff Rob! I'll be very very keen to see how you go with this.

I have a couple more questions for you. What's the sump position, I can't quite see it in any of the photos? Also, roughly how much taller is the engine with the inlet manifold on? How far back does it sit from the engine?

I've just been outside with your measurements and it appears one (VQ25DE) will fit in the little sunny without too much trouble. I'm happy bout that! :)

Keep us updated on your progress!

Justin

The VQ is effectively the next generation of the VG. Unlike the VG, it uses an alloy block making it much lighter, and from what I hear it's also a bit more compact. We have a VG30DETT sitting on a stand at a mates house, so I'll have to measure that up next time I'm around there.

We had a great thread on another forum I frequent about this engine, had heaps of great tech info on it but unfortunatly that's all gone.

Here are some pics of the exhaust after the heat shields were taken off and also the first trial fit, it didn't fit.Showing the turbo would foul the rail on left side and how far back the intake manifold is. By removing these I was able to move the engine back about 5-6".

post-5523-14150794960062_thumb.jpg

post-5523-14150794960428_thumb.jpg

post-5523-14150794960793_thumb.jpg

post-5523-14150794961158_thumb.jpg

post-5523-1415079496149_thumb.jpg

More pics showing the inlet and plenum, then the back of engine with all the bits removed even the water pipe which was later reinstalled because I found that It could be retained- saving me a lot of work.

Next one showing how far the sump sits below the x-member.

post-5523-14150794961828_thumb.jpg

post-5523-1415079496218_thumb.jpg

post-5523-14150794962528_thumb.jpg

post-5523-14150794962866_thumb.jpg

These are the dimensions:

From the back of the water pipe at the back of the engine to the front of the pulley bolts at the front with the fan off is 580mm.

The width without the manifolds and exhaust is 610mm.

The height without the plenum is approximately 700mm.

Just got some rough measurements of the VG30DETT

Depth = 600mm (with plenum)

Width = 680mm (without ex manifolds)

Height = 700mm (with plenum)

That puts the VQ as being shorter, narrower, but taller.