IGNORED

All I want is a decent ride

ezzzzzzz

My 71 Z has the original springs and struts. It rides like it too. Add the severe lack of cushion in the seats and it makes for a rough ride. I plan on replacing the foam insets with those found on Ebay (Datsun Restore or Intense). Before we go any further, has anyone used these inserts? Was the difference worth the money? Okay, back to the suspension. I don't race on the track or the street. I don't need OR want a bone jarring ride and slot car handling. I do want to lower the car though. I'm leaning towards the Eibach Pro-kit for the progessive springs. I'd thought about coil-overs but Don at Ground Control said he would recommend the lowering springs they offer(?). No other info has been provided as to rates, spring type, etc. I'll also be replacing struts. The Tokico HP's sound good but the Illumina's set to 1 might be better(?). Eibach is marketing a pro-damper strut for their springs but I've heard nothing of them. Bottom line is to lower the car, give as comfortable a ride as possible and do it only once. I need suggestions to acheive this or a close compromise based on real world experience?

ezzzzzzz, I tend to agree with Victor, but if you are mainly interested in a comfortable ride with the lowering springs.....just be sure to run high profile tires (50 series at the least) and run them at a slightly lower air pressure. Just a thought!

ezzzzzzz, I tend to agree with Victor, but if you are mainly interested in a comfortable ride with the lowering springs.....just be sure to run high profile tires (50 series at the least) and run them at a slightly lower air pressure. Just a thought!

50 Series is HIGH profile?? What is a LOW profile size?

ezzzzzzzzzz, make sure you use OEM-spec rubber bushings in most of your suspension and polyurethane in only strategic locations. You put poly everywhere, and your ride will be harder. Use stock type springs, and KYB or Tokico non-adjustable struts. These guys with series 35 tires aren't building sports cars, they're building race cars. You'll have a nice GT car, which is what the Z is. Some people get the crazy notion that the more jarring the ride, the closer you are to sports car heaven.

35 or 40 series!! heehee Had to.

ROOPZ, easy on Carl.....he just may have had a momentary lapse in thought and forgot that they now manufacture 30, 35, 40, 45 series tires. You have to remember that years and years ago, a 50 series tire was a low profile tire. Carl, we love ya, but your showing your age (I should talk!). :D

........... but your showing your age (I should talk!). :D

Yes, I am, and Yes, you aren't too far behind me.

But I hadn't forgotten about 30, 35, 40, 45 series tires; it's just that I consider 50 series too low for a comfortable ride in MY Z. My idea of comfort stops at 60 series, so......Ya, I am showing my age, and the condition of the streets where I live. I cannot afford to replace wheels (or visit the Chiropractor) every time I encounter a pothole.