IGNORED

280 Stuff into a 240

Nigel Mulvey

I've read extensively on this subject and I understand from the Z Garage that when installing an R200 into a 240 you need to replace the drive shaft with one from a 280Z. As 280Z's were not available here in Australia (we continued with 260's for a few years and went straight to the 280ZX) can any one advise how to get around this. Would a late Australian 260Z have the parts I need?

Nigel Mulvey

Pristine Original 1974 260Z 2+2 (Daily Driver)

240Z Project Car (Proposed)

You can use a 240 driveshaft with the R-200, as long as the flanges are the same. 280's had a slightly different flange than the 240's. The length is close enough that either should work, and since the 260 was sold for a number of years after they discontinued the 240's the 260 driveshaft should work.

I have about 6 drive shafts from various years ('71,'73,'74.5,'75,'75,'76) laying around and almost that many diffs. From what I can tell all the first generation R180 & R200 diff. input flanges are the same with the exception of the '75 280 (first production run with R200). For some reason the flanges on these diffs had larger bolts but smaller flange centers. The next year it seemed to go back to the same setup as was used on the R180s. Also, I have been told not to change flanges but I did it on mine 12 years ago without any problems. You should be able to use your original drive shaft, just a 2manyZs wrote the lengths are a little different, about an inch, but it will work.

Sorry, no nothing specific for Austraillian model Zs but hopefully it will be helpful.

Have fun!