IGNORED

B&M wants to borrow your car!

TomoHawk

B&m racing (transmission/shifter people) has a program where they borrow your car for a while to develop a shiter to fit your model.

People in the in the Los Angeles, Ventura, or Orange County areas, should call them and tell them to put the S30 model on the "To-Do list."

An aftermarket replacement manual shifter wold be nice, but I'd like to see an H-gate (4 spd pattern) shifter for the auto trans people! Since the S30 is THE MOST POPULAR SPORTS CAR IN THE U.S., they should design an auto trans shifter. They had one in the late 80s, so why not redesign it for modern cars??

:love:

thx

B&M Car Search List

Phone: 1-818-882-6422

Hours: 7am - 11:30am and 12:30pm - 4pm

(all times are Pacific Standard Time)

[quote name= but I'd like to see an H-gate (4 spd pattern) shifter for the auto trans people! Since the S30 is THE MOST POPULAR SPORTS CAR IN THE U.S.' date=' they should design an auto trans shifter. They had one in the late 80s, so why not redesign it for modern cars??

But how many of the most popular sports cars in the U.S. had automatics? How would they redesign it for "modern" 35 year old Z's (was more modern than the Z back in the 80's). Better luck finding an 80's model slide-o-matic at a swap meet/ebay/pick-n-pull.

Can't see how they could improve on stock manual shifter.

I saw a $120,000 Mustang GT500 on ther Barrett-Jackson (Arizona) auction recently, even though it's a re-run from last year( just musclecar auctions). It had an automatic transmission. MANY of the Shelby Mustangs had them.

Plus, the Nissan Maxima uses the same transmission- with or without overdrive, which would help simplify things.

What's a "slide-o-matic?" Mine already has a shifter, with an updated, sporty-looking handle, which has been mistaken for a manual shifter several times!. Then, I dunno which other shifter would fit the car & trans shift pattern. Some people on Hybridz.org have adapted generic shifters to the JATCO unit, but it was not easy to get the gear 'notches' to match.

Wouldn't it be really NEAT if they made such a shifter that looks like the manual one? Then you wouldn't be abler to tell what kind of transmission was in the car by looking at the the shifter! LOL

The idea isn't to improve the shifter, but to get the 4-speed pattern that most people associate with older-, or sporty- cars.

thx

>>>I saw a $120,000 Mustang GT500 on the Barrett-Jackson (Arizona) auction recently, even though it's a re-run from last year( just musclecar auctions). It had an automatic transmission. MANY of the Shelby Mustangs had them.

Hardly the "most popular American sports car", perhaps one of the most wanted, but nobody could afford them then or now.

>>>The idea isn't to improve the shifter, but to get the 4-speed pattern that most people associate with older-, or sporty- cars.

???? Sounds rice to me, don't make it better just make it cool!!! better yet how about a sticker, "I could have been a 4 speed"!!!

Sorry but sometimes I wonder where you come up with this stuff, Gameboy broke??

RICE?

Adding a period-looking shifter doesn't sound like rice to me, and it would definitely be cool for us with the automatic trannies, and would be as functional as aesthetic. Like I said, it would make the auto-shift cars look like the manual-shift ones, from the driver's seat. To me, rice-stuff degrades the look of things. I alao like the idea because I'm unable to drive a car with manual transmission, so the new shifter would be cool- even a retro-styled idea to replace ratchet-shifters.

STICKERS

Stickers suck, and were meant to cover rust-spots (rust being a four-letter word).

I've been working on this idea since I started building streetrods. They all have column-shifters (boring) or floor-shifters that belong in contemporary cars (looks funny).

I don't play video games.

Same to you.

thx

RICE?

Adding a period-looking shifter doesn't sound like rice to me, and it would definitely be cool for us with the automatic trannies, and would be as functional as aesthetic. Like I said, it would make the auto-shift cars look like the manual-shift ones, from the driver's seat.......

Sounds like RICE to me. Making something look like something that it isn't fits MY defintion of RICE.

How many of these "wonder units" do you think they could sell? Face it,there are not very many automatic equipped S30's left in the world. Only a tiny fraction of the owners of these cars would be interested in "reinventing the wheel" and gaining nothing but "style".

Just put a shift knob on your autostick marked R,1,2,3,4,5. And add an astheticaly pleasing fake gate on the console. Nobody except a passenger (and you) will know its not a real 5 speed. Fits your requirements for functional and asthetic.

People might wonder why you park with your car in "2nd" though.

Carl-

I first thought of the idea for use on streetrods, but it could be used on MILLIONS OF CARS!! Not just Z-cars! It would be a fully-functional shifter, with an H-pattern for three speeds forward, 1 reverse, and Park (5 gears total). How many cars have paddle shifters, but don't need them, like the Lincoln LS? You gotta stop thinking negatively! Get your heads out of the BOX.

RICE?

How about those guys trying to duplicate the works rally cars? Those aren'treally works rally cars, so they must be RICE?

Pancho-

What do you mean by log-leg pattern? And it -is- a GO on the H-pattern. It's been patented already.

(Shift gate)

What shift gate? On what console? My car has no center console. Just a shifter with as nice leather boot around it. In my photo album.

???? I thought you guys were open to new ideas ???

Carl-

I first thought of the idea for use on streetrods, but it could be used on MILLIONS OF CARS!! Not just Z-cars!

The cost of designing and manufacturing and marketing a kit to FIT an S30 has to be justifiable to the company. Ever heard of ROI? (Return on Investment)

How many cars have paddle shifters, but don't need them, like the Lincoln LS? You gotta stop thinking negatively! Get your heads out of the BOX.

A helluva lot more than the number of S30's with auto transmission that are in the hands of people who WANT it to be a "pretend" manual transmission car.

RICE?

How about those guys trying to duplicate the works rally cars? Those aren'treally works rally cars, so they must be RICE?

If all they do is make it LOOK like a Ralley car (i.e. not having proper equipment on it) then it MAY be considered RICE, but more likely to be considered a look-alike.

Pancho-

What do you mean by log-leg pattern? And it -is- a GO on the H-pattern. It's been patented already.

The common "H" patteren has 4 locations for gears. Having 3 gears, a reverse gear, a Neutral position, and a Park position would seem to require more than an "H".

Park Reverse

Neutral Drive

Drive2 Drive1

(Shift gate)

What shift gate? On what console? Mu car has no center console.

Now who's fault is that?

???? I thought you guys were open to new ideas ???

Ask B&M if "they" are interested in this one. One or the other of us will be suprised.