IGNORED

Check out this Z

Fun_in_my_z

• 4 months later...

In The Land of Oz, its known as a 120Y, A12 motor etc. We often ask why when we see them on the road. However they do go rather fast with a nice 13B under bonnet. Just try not to expect too much in the way of cornering unless you want to spend dollars!!!

140Z & 160Z

The Early Z cars where not offered in South Africa, I'm not sure why EXACTLY. My dad used to say that in the Seventies, most people wanted to drive very economical cars. Engine sizes were very small and regular cars were always 4DR sedans or hatchbacks. 2DR coupes were extremely rare unless they were sports cars! South Africa never had muscle cars, and sports cars were usually small engined European ones! Sports cars in SA where very expensive and high end! Only the rich (well to do) could afford them, further more only a very small percentage of the South African population could afford cars at that time as well!

Later on Nissan offered the ZX cars in South Africa, but in very limited numbers! They are collectable but not very popular.

The 140 and 160Z were very well received in the South African market! They may not be true (S30) Z's, but in South Africa they're real and had alot of sports car goodies that the 120Y or B210 models didn't have. They were cool, 2DR, fun to drive and much cheaper to buy, maintain and run than other Sports cars of the time period.

I think if Nissan South Africa created the 140/160Z, they would have got approval from Nissan Japan before doing so. That would make the 140/160Z REAL!

These days the 140Z and 160Z are becoming very rare and desireable. In two weeks I'll be in South Africa and I've had my dad looking for a Z or a Bluebird-U, but no luck so far.

Alex (South African Indian)

• 7 months later...
Yup, that's a B210 in the US. A cheap little throwaway car that you don't see much of any more.

BTW My mom had a '77 Datsun 200SX. :alien: It was a funny looking sports coupe that had a 5-speed with an odd shift pattern. 1st was all the way to the left and down. Anyone remember those? I haven't seen one in years.

I used to have a '78 Datsun 510, which was the 200SX's direct predecessor. It had that same weird 5-speed shift pattern. Can't tell you how many times I almost shifted into reverse instead of 5th!

It had the old 240Z engine and it was a scream off the line! The speedometer stopped at 120 (about 5:30 on the circular dial), but that needle could go nearly all the way straight down if you pushed it. I'm thinkin' 135 MPH, conservatively.

And it was still going that fast at 258,000 miles! Great little car.

I used to have a '78 Datsun 510, which was the 200SX's direct predecessor. It had that same weird 5-speed shift pattern. Can't tell you how many times I almost shifted into reverse instead of 5th!

QUOTE]

Was it the 2 door hatchback with the L-20B?

I had the same one. It had that 5-speed, which was great for going from reverse to 1rst and lighting up the tires, which it did VERY easily!!

I miss that car. It had over 300,000 miles on it when I sold it to some kid for $1000, and still blew V-6's away all day.

The trophy was for 1st place ameture class slolum racing

QUOTE]

Was it the 2 door hatchback with the L-20B?

I had the same one. It had that 5-speed, which was great for going from reverse to 1rst and lighting up the tires, which it did VERY easily!!

I miss that car. It had over 300,000 miles on it when I sold it to some kid for $1000, and still blew V-6's away all day.

The trophy was for 1st place ameture class slolum racing

Yep! That's the one exactly! Unfortunately mine wasn't in quite as good a shape as yours seemed to be. I paid $1000 for mine and when I got it the engine had 100K miles and the paint was already starting to peel. Then the interior headliner started to sag and so on. But I still got another 150K+ out of that sucker and would have gotten more if my son hadn't blown up the engine. He used it to go rockclimbing while I was out of town once and the the radiator sprung a leak. The engine light came on and he didn't know what to do. He continued driving it for another 50 miles and the engine overheated and the block cracked. And that was that...

It looked like hell, and the heater and AC were both gone for the bulk of the time I had it, but I still miss that car a lot!

Yep! That's the one exactly! Unfortunately mine wasn't in quite as good a shape as yours seemed to be. I paid $1000 for mine and when I got it the engine had 100K miles and the paint was already starting to peel. Then the interior headliner started to sag and so on. But I still got another 150K+ out of that sucker and would have gotten more if my son hadn't blown up the engine. He used it to go rockclimbing while I was out of town once and the the radiator sprung a leak.

when I got mine for $700, the clearcoat had turned to dust and could be scraped off with a thumbnail. The headliner slowly smacked me in the back of the head after a while. My springs broke and coiled inside themselves but that was cool, saved me money having to lower the carLOL

I used to take it up mountain roads and off road all the time. I could run at 120 MPH all day and it WOULD NOT OVERHEAT!! I tore off the emissions and threw in a holley 2 barrel and it turned into a demon:ogre:

My top speed was clocked by a State Trooper @ 143 MPH and still accelerating after he clocked me. And after he finally caught up to me, I was already on the side of the road and had smoked half a cigarette, and had all my paper work ready for him. (I smoke fast when I'm nervous:nervous: )

He let me go on the fact that no one was around at 3:30 am and all I had to do was write down every thing I had done to the car so he could give the info to his neighbor (who had the same car)ROFL Strange but true and all names are being witheld to protect the guilty.

I miss that car:(

Thats what really got me into the Datsun lifestyle and onto this site. props to Mike.