IGNORED

1973 economy restoration

soymilk

First time here as a member

I live in west los angeles. I just got two quotes for body work on my 1973 240z. The original color of the car is Datsun color code 115. It was repainted in red by the P.O. The car has a scratch like dent on the passenger door ( not deep at all) one ding on the rear tailight panel and one ding on the left corner edge of the hood. Two rust bubbles (2mm in diameter) on the windshield cowl cover, thats it for rust. I love red 240Z's but the P.O replaced the dash with a crack free one and the engine compartment and wheel wheels are still looking good with the original blue metallic paint so I decided to go original. The interior is white ( aka beige or off-white). I need to have that restored as well. Any suggestions for body and interior shops in the los angeles area that take good care of Z cars are welcome. If you have pictures of your car painted in the 115 color code please send them to me at: oatmilk@hotmail.com

Both quotes came within a $200 of each other.

R&I front & rear-$150

Strip paint down to bare metal for cracks and chips-$600

Repair dings & dents ( whole vehicle), remove parts to gain access-$500

Primer and wet sand car complete and paint car complete in BC/CC $1850

Paint door jam, underhood, inside trunk-$295

Color sand & buff complete-$300

Total-$3695, other shop was $3500. 1-2 months to do the work

What do you think? I have seen both shops work and they both are good. One shop will use Dupont and the other PPG. I asked about imported paint systems...Sikkens, Glassurit and so on, and the typical response was they are good but your mostly paying for the name and importing costs.

Thanks for the help in advance,

Prices look right but I still shutter at $3500 for body and paint... I would ask for references and follow up from that direction to make sure that the people that have used them before got things in the "two months" and that the job was done right...

Hey he said he wanted something inexpensive. Either that Earl scheib or One Day Paint and Auto. Maybe to him the car is only worth so much any more might be a waste of money. Im not trying to put words in his mouth im just taking a wild guest of what he is thinking.

He also said "body and interior shops in the los angeles area that take good care of Z cars are welcome." Having someone learn (and make the inevitable learners mistakes on your car) is not what most people would call taking good care of a car. But, hey if it works for you.....go for it.

When he said economy restoration i was thinking the lower part of the spectrum. Just enough to make his car look ok. Well there are shops that might not specialize in z but does a good job with other cars. Like Modern, classics, low riders and so on. LA is the place theres tons of shops with good prices. Its a judgement call i seen people and knew people that spent thousands and thousands of dollars on paint jobs and it did not hold up. While i meet other who spent little to nothing and to this day their car is still looking good.

Just shop around some more and fine the right price for you. If they have a photo book of what they done in the past that should help a lot. Also look at their past history problem with BBB.

Good luck,

Ah yeah if you find a place that you like at a cheap i mean economy price hit me up as well. :D

In my case we spent $3145 which included bodywork (battery tray damage, rust damage below gas door). My car had never been hit and there was still a lot of prep to get her ready for paint. All the rivet holes for the door ding strip had to be filled and sanded. Price included a new windshield and installing all new weatherstripping after paint by the glass guy. Mine is def not a restoration but more of VG refresh for a nice Z driver. Paint is BASF Diamont BC/CC Nissan code 611. Car was painted everywhere but the engine bay itself and interior. Because it was done by a regular body shop it took 4 months......

http://members.cardomain.com/jmark