IGNORED

Datsun 240RS origins and history

240znz

Sorry to post this here, but I've done a search on the net and all the 240RS pages are in Japanese and I can't read that hence this....it is a Datsun so it is a relation of sorts. :nervous:

Anyone have any data on the 240RS production numbers. I thought that the FJ24 engine was a special Nismo only engine. It appears not.

Anyone got any ideas or info on these cars????

Cheers

James

Bill,

No it's not a "rally edition" 240Z. It is a Datsun 240RS. It looks like a Nissan Silvia shape but doesn't preform like a Silvia.

I think they were used in the old Group B rally era in the 80's?

The FJ24 is a 4 cylinder 2.4 litre turbo EFI Nissan engine. Oh it was a Datsun but was labelled Nissan by Datsun.

I'm with you Victor, my thought's are that the FJ24 was strickly a NISMO motorsport release ONLY. Parts are enormous $$$ now. I've heard rumours a short block going for $9000 (about US$6500) and a used one that that.

www.geocities.com/timsillay/240.html It is my old mates car....oh yeah!

James ,the engine in the 240 RS was not turbo charged,and yes it was used in the old groupB category, but only in the early era, it was an excellent long distance car.

The engine made about 250 -270 hp using 50 mm carbs big compression ect.

Tere is a sight in Australia I think it is called fj20.com.au and follow the links.

Tony.

Yes, you are right. Why did I say turbo...DOH!

As you can see from Tim's site, he has made some mods to his with the individual throttle bodies, EFI running a Link computer. He had 50's on there but they farted about too much so hence the new computer and throttle bodies.

Were they on carbs as standard or EFI?

Is this really possible? I mean Datsun cars were manufactured by Nissan.

Good question Carl.

It was a New Zealand marketing ploy. When Nissan decided to phase out the Datsun brand in NZ, their spin doctors put that little line in there to "ease" the old and new generations into the new name. They didn't like the idea of cold turkey.

Silly how some companys work isn't it! But I see the reasoning.

Just imagine what the FJ24 sounds like with the "loud" medal on the floor.....260BHP unleshed on a rear wheel drive unit....OMFG! Can't wait until Tim brings it down here for an event....or I'll just have to visit him again.