IGNORED

Engine Mounts

Luke240z

Luke

If they are the originals it might be an idea to replace them anyway.

difficult to tell from the photos, but I would definitely replace them if the rubber has a lot of oil contamination, or the rubber has torn/cracked or come away from the metal plates.

Andrew

For the clutch I've gone with a PBR RPM 112 heavy duty. That should do the trick. I will replace the mounts because with the rubber coming away from the steel it would probably be a good idea. Should I stay with stock mounts for a replacement or is there an aftermarket product?

Thanks

Luke

In the USA, aftermarket mounts are available. I would stick with OEM if your budget can handle it though.

Why do you recommend OEM mounts? Are they better than all of the aftermarket one? I have not shopped for this part yet but will be needing some soon and want to know if there is a better quality aftermarket part avialable.

Why do you recommend OEM mounts?

I don't know about Carl, but some of the aftermarket transmission mounts (including engine mounts) I have seen are made from cheap India rubber. Whilst they fit OK, I don't expect they would last very long compared to OEM.

Why do you recommend OEM mounts? Are they better than all of the aftermarket one? I have not shopped for this part yet but will be needing some soon and want to know if there is a better quality aftermarket part avialable.

As abas suggested, some aftermarket parts are not made very well. "Made in China" or elsewhere and of poor materials and construction methods. I want my engine to stay where it belongs and not (potentially) leap forward and rape my radiator or do other damage to the drivetrain. The OEM mounts were not that expensive IMO.

Ok, thanx for the 411 abas and bambi.

The price was not a consideration for me at this point, I am just interested in the quality and strength mostly...just as you said bambi, I want the engine to stay where it belongs especially since it will have a bit more power than a stock L24.

If you want a mount that is really hardcore, the Z Car Shop in Brisbane, Australia sells a mount that has a Nolathane insert and some sort of setup using a Landcruiser spring. Not exactly sure how their setup, but he is using them on all him competition Z's. Their $275.00 AUD and he has used them for about 10 years now without and problems. You should also check some of the other stuff out in his shop. If it has to do with Z's and Alan doesn't know it............... it's not worth knowing. Heres the site.

http://www.zcarworkshop.com.au/Newsite/home.html

Thanks

Luke