IGNORED

KGC10-R Pics

g72s20

Yeah I know, I made the name up, but its the closest thing to explaining it I can think of. It went to auction in Japan as a KGC10 /spec R?

Wrong bits

front guard gt badges, stolen intransit

missing rear quarter badge/garnish?

interestingly, the rear quarter panels are a different part no.'s for the real GT-R, and this car appears to have them! But the body is a kgc10...no P!

A few pics from the trip from Victoria. Hey! It's Australia mate, ya gotta have a gumtree photo somewhere! LOL

post-6441-14150794253859_thumb.jpg

post-6441-1415079425418_thumb.jpg

post-6441-14150794254346_thumb.jpg

There was one in WA for sale $29000 heavily modified

Two kgc10's under restoration in Vic.

One rumoured to be in Tasmania.

One similar to mine in Liverpool area, played at Wakefield some time back....gotta catch up with this guy.

........and mine! :)

But I'll just betcha someone's hiding one elsewhere!

Jim.

W.A. importer

Wrong bits

front guard gt badges, stolen intransit

missing rear quarter badge/garnish?

interestingly, the rear quarter panels are a different part no.'s for the real GT-R, and this car appears to have them! But the body is a kgc10...no P!

Those bits will be tough (ie expensive) to find now... hope you have contacts in Japan :classic:.

I know in the KPGC110 the wheel wells on the rear are actually a different shape because of the flares. The whole panel of course would have to be different too. I'm guessing that's the same for the C10.

From previous pictures I thought this looked like a really good - and extensive - replica!! Probably a ground-up restoration I think to have the panels replaced at the rear... Gorgeous. What do you think?

Thanks for the pics too! That was a nice entree indeed. :cheeky:

It went to auction in Japan as a KGC10 /spec R?

It was most likely described as "GT-R shiyo" ( my Romanisation ), which would translate in this useage as "GT-R look" or something similar. ie - not a real GT-R. You can see this is used car sales descriptions all the time in Japan. They are not legally allowed to misdescribe a used car as something it is not.

Last year a girl here in the UK bought a similarly described car from a Japanese auction ( without realising that "GT-R shiyo" meant that it was not a real GT-R ). It turned out to be - of course - a KGC10, and a total shed into the bargain. Poor girl.

It is a KGC10, and it is not a KPGC10. Its quite simple. Sorry to labour the point, but its quite clear what it is ( and what it was ).

This kind of car is more common in Japan than many might realise. Some owners go to great expense to make their GT and GT-X bodies look just like GT-Rs. It makes sense to repair / replace a panel with the GT-R spec item if you are making an authentic-looking replica. And this is most definitely a very authentic-looking replica. Very nice indeed. :classic:

G'day Alan,

I've inadvertantly got this spread over two threads now! ahh well..

My point about the rear quarter panels was really just that I was very pleased it has them, but as I've responded in the engine thread, I cringe at any suggestion it is anything else but a nice look a like, nice as it would be to own the real thing, the car as it is, is a much better propostion for me, best of both worlds really, it looks the part without having the concerns of the care and feeding the genuine article in the engine bay.

The stolen gt-r badges were placed in the glovebox at the auction...and never seen again :mad:

May I ask a favour?

Could you explain your use of the word "romanisation"? I understand it as your interpretation but why "roman"? I'm curious as I've seen the word roman on some GTR related sites. Also, the character on the rear window in my attached pics with "machine friend" across it, any clues as to what it represents?

Thanks Alan, I do appreciate your insights into the culture and scene these cars are coming from. Without having the ability to read/interpret Japanese text, there is only so much one can glean from pictures .It's one thing to use a translation tool....but interpretation is a new ballgame!

Cheers,

Jim.

Hey Jim just wanted to say nice car. I was lucky enough to see this car in person in Melbourne when it was up for auction. I noticed the back of it had a GTR badge on it which fooled a guy I was with at the time. But I noticed the P in KPGC10 missing in the description and realised it was "a copy" which i agree is a much better proposition and probably what I'd go for.

I am interested in what you think the motor is producing? I'm building most likely a very similar motor at the moment for my 240z and have experience how quick the same motor is on just dual SU's and let me tell you I was impressed so much so I couldn't stop laughing afterwards at how ridiculously quick it was for an L28 powered Z. :)

There was a red 4 door for sale in one of those classic cars for sale, (dont know which one), last month on the eastern side of the country.

Tho one in Perth is a KGC10. Its at http://www.c-red.com.au/oldsite/stock.html at the bottom of the page. and also at http://www.c-red.com.au/stock/kgc10/index.shtml

$29K is alot of money for a replica isnt it?

Somewhat off topic, but not completely, I was in a model shop looking at 240Z models and saw 2 C10 coupe models made by kyosho. One was standard and one was in racing livery.

A bit more off topic, but still Syline related, I saw a movie on SBS (australian tv station, not the USA station). It was a japanese gangsta movie. The ganster types were getting around in a white 4 door C110, and the good guy (or at least the guy they were after) was getting around in a metallic silver C10 coupe. Only caught the last 20 minutes of the move, but it was cool to watch.

G'day Alan,

Could you explain your use of the word "romanisation"? I understand it as your interpretation but why "roman"? I'm curious as I've seen the word roman on some GTR related sites.

Also, the character on the rear window in my attached pics with "machine friend" across it, any clues as to what it represents?

Cheers,

Jim.

Hi Jim,

Sorry, I should have explained that 'Romanised' means to put into the Roman alphabet ( A, B, C, etc ). That's the only way I can phoneticise Japanese characters. Even then, its still open to debate as to how best to write Japanese syllables so that they can be pronounced accurately / correctly.

For example, your new car is what the Japanese have always described as the "Hakosuka" Skyline ( meaning 'boxy', or 'box shape' ) - but there are varying ways of writing this in our alphabet. If you know the original pronunciation then its easier, but if you don't then it can be harder. Correct pronunciation would be something like "Hacko-ska", but you can't write what it really sounds like in our Roman alphabet.

Anyway, that's what I meant by "Romanisation".....

If you see references to "Roman" in Japan, then I think it will almost certainly be in relation to small comic books that became popular in Japan during the 40's, 50's and 60's. In fact, the word "Roman" in French is used for a pulp novel or paperback, and I think this is where it came from in Japanese use.

I remember one called "GT-Roman", which was a very popular car-related comic series. Sometimes people call their website or homepage a "Roman" now.........

Er, don't quote me on the above! :classic:

"Machine Friend" is probably a garage / tuning shop / local club or something like that.

Cheers,

Alan T.

Sorry Jim,

I forgot to add - that Kanji character over which "Machine Friend" is written is pronounced "Ani".

"Ani" is one of the Japanese words for 'brother' ( in a familial sense ). So I would imagine that the previous owner of your car could have been a 'brother' ( member ) of the "Machine Friend" club?

But again, don't quote me on it. :D

Thanks Gavin, I intend to have a reference established on a dyno in the future, I'm sure any seat of the pants figure I give you will be heavily weighted by my frame of mind at the moment :) The only thing I have to compare it with at the moment is my trusty stock 240K Auto, but it is very torquey in my experience.

Hi Craig, I think the four door you saw was a red '66 Nissan Prince S54BE-III, i did see that but could find no C10, see if you can find the ad again?

Not thinking I would ever own a real C10, I too have acquired lots of C10 kits and models. The Kyosho are brilliant as are Ebbro.

My work brings me into regular contact with SBS TV people so I'm gonna do a bit of quizzing about that movie. Can you add anything like approx airing date time etc? You never know, I might be able to get us a copy!!

While I think of it, will you guys be making your way to Goulburn next Easter? It'd be great to meet as many NISSAN/ ZEDHEADS as possible :classic:

G'day Alan,

Thanks for the info and insights again! I was exploring a Japanese bookshop in Sydney a few months back. In my endeavors to explain what I was looking for I mentioned "Hakosuka".....Well! the Japanese gents' face lit up with a huge grin, he quickly corrected my pronunciation to ..as you say..Hako-Ska and went on to explain the meaning. This chap was well aware of the cars and their popularity in Japan, and seemed fascinated that an Aussie could share the passion for an old Japanese car. We looked for quite a while but found nothing on the older cars...he even tried to find anything on the Prince Cars. he has since ordered and supplied a nice little prince and skyline reference book.

Thanks again guys,

Cheers,

Jim.