IGNORED

Old emblems, new paint

kenz240z

Another project I completed a while ago was repainting the pillar emblems. I started by cleaning the old emblem with soap and water. Then I used a bit of Scotchbrite pad, a small metal pick and a Prep Pen to remove most of the old paint, especially the white paint in the Z. Another bath removes the traces of old paint and bits of fiberglass from the Prep Pen.

I used Testors model paint and the finest brush I could find at the hobby store to repaint the emblem. Flat black and eggshell white seem to be quite close to the original colors. The same process can be used for the hood emblem, fender emblems and rear hatch emblems. On the larger emblems, such as the rear hatch emblems, I masked the lettering and used spray paint to touch up the black color. I have pictures of these other emblems in my gallery.

The Prep Pen uses a bunch of fiberglass bristles and comes in handy for touching up paint chips, removing paint & light scale from nuts & bolts, etc... I bought one at a paint supply house several years ago, but noticed that the local K-Mart carries them in the automotive section.

Kenny P.

post-6323-1415079425001_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150794250226_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150794250428_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150794250622_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150794250899_thumb.jpg

It's been about 8 months since I repainted all the emblems on my Z. I keep it garaged and don't drive it that often, so exposure to the elements has been minimal. So far they look as good as the day I repainted them, but only time will tell how they hold up.

I have used the same type of model paint to repaint emblems for my '64 Chevy Impala. I did those about 15 years ago and they still look good; however, they have yet to be put on the car, as it's been a work in progress since 1987 :ermm: (meant to finish that car this year, but got married instead...). I've always had them in the garage, but they have gone through several cycles of hot and cold (summer/winter).

Kenny P.

i did something like that a while ago. listen to this.. when i had my car painted about a year and a half ago, i wanted to buy brand new emblems and i did which ended up costing like 215 or something dollars. i re-painted the old quarter emblems and "280z" hatch emblem. the looked great so i sold them all on ebay and ended up getting more money than i paid for the brand new ones.

the guy i sold the fender emblems to was new to ebay and everyone of his feedbacks was an item for his car. he even bought his car on ebay which i remember was his first feedback. anyways a few months later i went to a z show in rio vista and i recognized his yellow 280 from the pictures on ebay. i even asked the guy where he got the emblems from and he told me ebay. it was so crazy being re-united with my old emblems. i started thinking about the good ol days when i polished them up and sprayed them with armour-all to make them nice and shiny for their photo-shoot. oh and of course i remember supergluing the pins back on after they broke while washing them.

i imagine its the same feeling that a mother has after being re-united with her long lost child.

post-5753-14150794253361_thumb.jpg

Ed,

My emblems cleaned up real nice with soap and water. I've used Turtle Wax Chrome Polish to shine up emblems and trim parts for some of my other (non Z) cars.

Regarding the photo of the yellow 280Z, it looks like an old chevy V8 emblem, circa '62 or '63, on the fender next to the 350 emblem...cool! It would have been for a 283, the 327's had flags on each side of the V. When the 350's came out Chevy started adding an additional emblem that denoted the engine displacement. The V shape on those early emblems was short and wide, in 1964 and later years the V was tall and narrow. Forgive my digression here, but I guess it is pertinent to a Z with a small block chevy under the hood!

Kenny P.

• 4 months later...

I have been waiting for a couple months to finally make a post on here but I think this is something I may have some relevant and reliable input on. Before bringing my 73 up to Pittsburgh (back in August) I used nearly the identical steps as above on my old emblems, and before returning the car and garaging it back in Dallas (December) those emblems underwent moderate snowfall, heavy rain and some pretty serious temperature changes without showing any sign of wear. I highly recommend saving a little $ and getting intimate with your old emblems.

originally yes but i got her repainted a slightely different silver about 2 years ago. the sticker under the hood was too faded to read and i didnt think about looking on the internet. after she was painted, i was going through some old documents and i found the original receipt where it had the paint code written on there but of course it was too late.