IGNORED

Can You replace an Injector Hose?

TomoHawk

On my '78 280Z with original everything...

The #3 injector is dripping small drips (fortunately) of gas onto the intake manifold. I thought it would be easy to just replace the one rail-to-injector hose, or all 6 for safety. then I noticed that there is some kind of a crimp-type clamp on the injector.

Can you still replace just the hose?

thx

Hey Tomo, get some of the clamps from a 240SX. The ones below and above the fuel filter will work for you. And they are worm type high pressure. My 240SX has them and I put them on my wife's 280Z before we sold it.

The hose must be high pressure rated, but you knew that I'm sure.

FWIW

Chris

Replacing an injector hose is a true pain in the butt, but it can be done. It just takes three serveings of your most powerful cuss words, 10 gallons of sweat, and a few busted nuckels-unless you go ahead and replace all 6, plus the rest of the hoses on the fuel rail.

WIll

Replacing an injector hose is a true pain in the butt... unless you go ahead and replace all 6, plus the rest of the hoses on the fuel rail.

That's what I would do. I already replaced the one off the regulator, the day I got the car. I could also re-route the injector wires, clean everything up, and other stuff at the same time.

thanks.

The FSM specifies using a soldering iron to split the hose under the crimp and then push new hose in there. No need to cut off the crimp and use hose-clamps (Even though I have done that in the past out of ignorance). It pays to read the FSM...

Sam

I've always taken off the whole rail, checked the injectors, replaced the hoses(split carefuilly with an exacto knife), and put it back. Replaciing all of the hoses means not having to revisit the area again when the next one opens up, and affords the opportunity to examine/clean the whole assembly-keeping tabs on everyhting means a repair can be planed at your convenience, and not ruin a pleasure trip.

Will

The FSM specifies using a soldering iron to split the hose under the crimp. . .

Sam

I remember reading that in the FSM when I needed to replace the hoses on my 78 and got to thinking. . .soldering iron=heat+fuel :paranoid:. Instead I used an exacto like Will said and have used that method the other couple of times I had to replace injector hoses. I wasn't sure if it would work but each time I did one it became easier. I just really didn't like the idea of applying heat.