IGNORED

Intercooler choices

240Zdragon72

I have heard that the Supra Turbo intercooler can work, and the Isuzu NPR truck intercooler will work. Those are cheaper alternatives than getting the three expensive name brands you listed. The Isuzu truck might be harder to find if you have no salvage yards for truck parts in your area.

Chris

Isuzu NPR, Mitsubishi Conquest (or GM equivalent), Ford Power Stroke, Audi, Ford Probe, and more. I am going to use several smaller cores on the same plenum, with a HO fan pulling air through.

AutoSpeed did an article on flow rates through about 15 yard pulls to find out what was the best. I can probably find and email that article if you are interested.

Will

Thanks hls30.com I will be searching e-bay when I get home! To others : I am buying what I think to be a "stock" '83 280ZX Turbo engine. I will be fitting it into my '72 240Z. I was just wanting some ideas as to what has worked in the past. (Blitz, HKS, and GReddy don't sell any for this engine. And MSA is way too costly!) :tapemouth

Thanks

240zdragon72,

I am in the midst of the same build-straightening out the chassis first. I am doing some unusual things in terms of engine management, and intercooling-pm me if you want to swap notes, ideas, parts...

Will

AV240Z

You probably know this, and were trying to make a quick blurb to get a sale, but others don't, so here it is.

An intercooler does not flow or make horsepower, it allows you to tune an engine management system to make more horsepower by cooling the intake air of a compressed air intake system. An intercooler flows, and hopefully cools, intake air. Making the air more dense through compression by a turbocharger adds heat. Making the air even more dense by cooling it, means more can get into a cylinder. More air in a cylinder means you must add more gas, in the right ratio. More gas and more air, in the right ratio, means more horsepower. Once you have more cool dense air and gas in a cylinder, the timing of the spark can be adjusted, hopefully to make more horsepower.

The variables of intake temperature, fuel delivery, air delivery, and ignition timing all have an optimum range. An intercooler allows you to have some control over the one of the two variables that a normally aspirated car does not-intake temperature. Balancing all four variables properly in a healthy engine will result in operation somewhere between maximum fuel efficiency and maximum horse power-depending on your tuning.

Two more important questions to answer are:

1)What is the internal pressure drop across meaningful flow rates through the intercooler (usually expressed as a curve graph) Do the math to change cfm to rpm-it sounds worse thanit is-and make sure that the sweet spot of your turbo is within the efficient portion of the graph. If it isn't the intercooler in question is not your best choice.

2)What is its BTU dump in through time and volume of air both through and across the ic(usually 2 graphs superimposed on each other-where the two curves cross is the upper limit of efficiency-check the numbers from the answer to the first question, and the cfm of your radiator fan(if you know it), and make sure they fit)

Most Manufacturers don't and won't publish either of these because their sales people don't want us to know what their engineers know.

Will