IGNORED

steering wheel

ZmeFly

The spokes should be a black semi-gloss according to the resto article in Sport Z magazine. The rim is a molded plastic with the color in the plastic, it's not actually wood so a stain probably wouldn't work. After sanding the rim smooth it is covered in a semi-gloss clear lacquer to give it the right amount of shine.

The issue is the fall 2001 of Sport Z, you might try to see if it is still available to be ordered as a back issue.

• Like 1

I used Rust-O-Leum's Satin Black for the center spokes and hub. The finish is almost exactly what the original was.

For the wheel, I used a fuel proof clear urethane, but having looked at the finish Beandip got on his, I would recommend using his paint for the wood part. I'll contact him and ask him to post what he did.

I just finished restoring my wheel a couple of weeks ago. Satin black is correct for the center. Although the rim is some sort of composite plastic, it does take stain very well. I re-stained mine with red mahogony stain and it turned out beatiful.

I also red-did the shift knob in matching stain, which turne out good too. Except the plastic on top got ruined by the stripping fluid or something. so if you do that, make sure you mask it really well.

Go for it, it will really enhance the look of the interior.

Marty

Well, it seems I was wrong in my assumption the plastic rim wouldn't take a stain. If it does that's great, now you can make your rim any color you want. I was thinking it wouldn't be porous enough to take a stain. Now, if you don't like the color you can choose a different shade.

Just one question Marty, what type of stain did you use? :finger:

• 2 months later...

To Escanlon and Beandip,

Did you guys ever post what Beandip had used on his steering wheel? Escanlon said he had used a fuel proof clear urethane. Where did you get this stuff?

On another issue, did you guys ever set up a meeting of the local cars? I am here in Scappoose and would like to get together and look at your Z-cars. I am new to the Portland Z-Car scene so have some catching up to do.

Galen

70 240-Z

Galen:

Fuel Proof Paint: I used Formula U Fuel Proof Polyurethane Clear Varnish because it specifically said Polyurethane and the article in Sport Z magazine recommended that style of paint.

I also had access to Top Flite LustreKote Crystal Clear which is also High Gloss and Fuel Proof, but it is a Polyester Resin.

Having used both in my Radio Control Boats, and finding both to be very satisfactory paints, I opted for the Formula U ONLY because the article said Polyurethane.

Both of these are available from your local R/C hobby store.

I believe Beandip just used a regular MinWax Clear, but haven't been able to reach him on the phone to find out. When I do, I'll tell him to post.

Regarding getting together:

Currently my car is up on blocks as I do some of the necessary work in order to get it back to the shop to get the spindle pins and rear end fixed. Beandip's IS up and rolling.

Send me a Private Message and we can see about getting together for a brew or whatever.

Enrique

• 15 years later...

First you need to clean the metal with wax and grease remover. I then tape off and sand blast the spokes to bare medal, but I assume that is not an option for you. I would use wet or dry 400 sand paper, wet. Be sure to protect the plastic of the wheel. Then I would use black primer filler, sand again with 600 not breaking through to the medal. Once that is dry I would re-mask the wheel, use a tac cloth to remove any dust then spray with a black satin or semi-gloss acrylic enamel. I am sure that others have different ideas, assuming you have limited equipment, I believe this will give you good results.