IGNORED

Finally found your Z huh?

Daniel

From months of viewing the post of new Z owners I have an observation I wish to discuss.I read,bought Z therapy carbs,ordered headers,want more power,need it faster.I never read what I feel is the first manditory repair.I want to STOP!!These cars are old.The rubber brake lines probably haven't been replaced.If they have when?Guys we dream,look.and save for the day we get our Z.In a moment it could all be gone.The rear wheel cylinders are bad about leaking,brake fluid sucks up moisture=rust in the lines.You know how the more you blow up a balloon the weaker it gets?Guess what your rubber lines are doing?.The cost of making sure you will stop is small when you consider at a minimum you'll be on ebay looking for a front end.I won't even discuss the other possibilities.Just because they work today don't develop a false trust.Get new parts and enjoy your Z for years to come! Stay safe friends. Daniel

Thanks Daniel. Great post!

BTW one of the first things I had done when i got my car last summer was all new front brakes - loaded calipers, lines, and had the rotors turned. Still using drums in the rear but that is on the list to upgrade.

Daniel's post is spot on. All of those neato bells and whistles aren't much use when you're breaking new ground through the woods 'cus the brakes didn't work. A complete brake system "refresher" should be first on the To-Do List. It will likely be near the bottom of the Expenses List, and can be the best money you ever spent on your Z.

JIM DOZIER

I think I posted a reply to someones question about how much suspension improvements can be done to a Z. I touched on the point that most people overlook the brakes even though they are right there in front of them.

It doesn't make sense to make a car go fast and handle really well if you can't stop it.

At the very least, a decent set of pads and shoes, a good bleeding of the whole system and a set of stainless steel brake hoses is the very least a person should do. While we are on the subject, a lot of people may overlook the vacuum hoses from the intake to the mastervac and the check valve. If they don't look too good, replace them. They are cheap insurance that you will not lose the brake boost. If you have ever tried to stop a Z from high speed without the vacuum assist you will know it is a hair-raising experience, ask me, I know.

Yes, the rear brake cylinders can be a PITA to replace, but once you do it, it will be much easier the next time around. The front calipers are simple to re-build and they are not that expensive if you just want a set of reman calipers.

Just ordered a complete set of brake pads and stainless steel lines this morning from MSA and it run around $120. Didn't like the fact that I had to pump the brakes to stop, and yes I did bleed them out. I figured the hoses were going bad!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with you.

Three weeks after I got my '72 it got all new suspension components, new brake hoses, new wheel cylinders and toyota 4x4 calipers up front. Now the handling is like new and the brakes will throw you through the windshield!!!!!!

Now it's time to "go fast".

• 1 year later...

You just motivated me.

I was reading this and htinking to myself, if I am going to be doing all this work between now and the summer when the tires will hit the road (hopefully) and spending all the money to get it done then I do not want to waste it from something dumb like not being able to stop. I want to have this project car running for a nice long time.

I just put in the order for my steel breaklines and will go ahead and bleed them out as well.

What kind of fluid should I use? DOT 3?

SuDZ

Just after I got my first z ( long time ago) I was pressing on down a little country lane, when the brakes were suddenly not stopping me any more, although the pedal was still firm. Anyways stopped to let things cool down, but it did not make any difference. Moral of this story is I had to drive some distance home with no brakes, and it shook me up pretty bad. I don't mess about where brakes are concerned anymore, both my z's have ALL new brake components (except front calipers) for when they return to the road.

Turned out the previous owner had put some pads in that were off some economy car with nearly the same pad pattern, and had filed out the pad holes to make them fit. Couldn't cope with the weight/performance of the Z and presumably over heated the compound so much they didn't recover. :stupid: Scary!!!

for fluid I use what datsun suggested.I think dot3.Yes the silicon is supposed to be less water absorbent but ,I have a friend that has 35 fine classic/antique cars.He did the silicone thing.About a year later he went back.I don't recall why but there was an issue with the silicone.I'l l find out why