IGNORED

electronic ignition

bobbovine

Ok, I looked in the tech articles section and see the 240-to-280zx distributor schmatic, but is this the best way to go about it. What I mean is, is using a 280zx dizzy the best way to go (I'm sure the posted instructions are fine). Would I be better off going with a Mallory Unilite or something similar, is something like that overkill for a daily driver?

By the way I am running a L28 in the 260z that the PO put in.

Thanks

• 4 months later...

I have been running the ZX ignition for 3 yrs . I have no reason to change to any thing else. It performs with out a problem to red line . I have a daily driver and have never been sorry I made the change. I am just now installing a 280ZX engine and again the same ignition. There may be hotter systimes that will work better at 9K but I am never in need of this sort of performance. If going with the ZX ignition be sure to also get the mount that attaches the dist to the engine, that short extension that the dist attaches to. The 240 part is different. Also use the module marked 12 80 the '81--'83 have a different module , the dist will work but the module requires the computer and without it , it goes to retard at RPM. Also get the coil and bracket. The 240 coil is smaller in diameter so the mount is too small. :)

I would like to convert my 260z to electronic ignition to due away with the points, question is how?

If you just want to do away with the points you might consider using a Pertronix Ignitor. Search the forums here for "Pertronix" for plenty of information including detailed installation instructions with pictures.

Some people have luck with the Unilite, but I have been told they can get flakey? I have a Pertronix in a stock 240 dist. and they claim they are good to 11K. I had my dist. & Pertronix placed on a dist. machine that spun the unit up to 8K and tested good! I won't be doing 8K but have seen 6500 to 7000 down the straights. The Pertronix has been a "Set it & Forget it" thing for me.

Craig, when I was doing the electronic ignition conversion I first wanted to go with the ZX distributor but had trouble finding one that wasn't worn out. Tried rebuilt units but all 3 units tested the same.....the centrifical weight mechanism were worn out. I got tired of looking so I finally went with the Mallory Unilite. I had heard the same stories about them but was set straight on that issue......there were some reliability problems with the early issued units. However, the current units are very reliable. I have had zero issues with the Unilite since I installed it in 2000. Looks good too!!! If anyone is looking to buy a Unilite, buy it from SUMMIT RACING. Their price is about $150.00 less than MSA! I'll have to look tonight for the part number and post it tomorrow.

Some people have luck with the Unilite, but I have been told they can get flakey? I have a Pertronix in a stock 240 dist. and they claim they are good to 11K. I had my dist. & Pertronix placed on a dist. machine that spun the unit up to 8K and tested good! I won't be doing 8K but have seen 6500 to 7000 down the straights. The Pertronix has been a "Set it & Forget it" thing for me.

I have also used the Pertronix Ignitor installed in a Nissan OEM Rebuilt stock 240Z distributor ($130 from Courtesy Nissan) with zero problems.

Like Chino 240Z says, "Set it and forget it!"

I always hope that products improve or get debugged over the years, and it's been many years since I've look into Mallory systems, but I will say I did have good luck with one in a sandrail that performed well is Glamis sand and dust!

Our UPS man has a beaten pathway to our door delivering Summit & Jegs boxes! I always check prices with them and they usually kick a$$! Ya know our near by AutoZone recently beat Summits price by $5.00 on a MSD6AL ignition box, and had it in their store in 2 hrs. Won't hurt to check with them too?