how do I use Bondo? - Body & Paint - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

how do I use Bondo?

Featured Replies

I have a couple dents on my car, with rust . can anyone tell me how do I sand it off with what kind of sand paper? and after that how do I apply the bondo? and should I primer it? can anyone help me with the processors here? thanks alot.

~Z

If at all. The guy who owned my z before me used fiberglass (which is better than bondo) and now I will have to replace several panels due to rust damage.

You do not want to use Bondo on a 30 year old car. Bondo absorbs moisture and will turn your prize int o a rust bucket.

Go to www.eastwood.com and search body filler for better alternatives.

That said, bondo is rather easy to work with if you have a steady hand and some artistic talent. Sand and prep the dented areas. use body hammers/dollies to get as much of the dent out as possible. Then apply the bondo in several layers. Use a straight edge to determine the deepest part of the dent and start the first layer there. Apply your layers carefully and you won't have much sanding to do afterwards.

Very important!!! Wear a respirator. Bondo dust will kill you!

  • 7 months later...
S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

I have to agree with Enrique. I've been using bondo and fiberglass, and even lead, for the last 20 years. The key is in the preparation. Make sure the metal is clean and has some good scratches, 36 grit, before applying.

Brian

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.