IGNORED

Oil Pan

mmagnus

I am getting ready to purchase a remanufactured L28 from ATK engines. Evidently it doesnt come with an oil pan. Does anyone know someone that sells new oil pan for this block? I really dont want to get from juck yard because I am trying to make the care show quality.

Mark

As far as I know the oil pan for an L-24 will work, I don't think there is any difference in the pans since the gaskets are the same from 70-78.

If you have to get a new one, well, I dunno. I guess you could try MSA and VB. They don't list them in their catalogs but they may be able to get one.

All 6-cylinder pans will fit all 6-cylinders (if you get what I mean).

But...

Depending on the application, the acual sump 'bowl' will be in a different place, as will the pickup point. You will notice that there are 2 locations on the block where the pickup gallery could be drilled. So if your new engine has the pickup in the wrong place, simply extend your existing one.

I had to do this when I fitted an L28 to my Skyline, the car it came from had the bowl at the back & the Skyline has it at the front.

HI Mark,I sure don't recall the ATK not having an oil pan.Mine was years ago.If it didn't the 2400 pan swapped over,I would remember a problem like that.Perhaps the different pan is for turbo/more oil cap?I do recall having a heck of a time getting the dip stick tube out.That will have to be knocked out of the 2400 block from the inside.You can't pull it out of the 2400.I used a nut driver the diameter of the hole and tapped it out.It's a great swap.You'll love it.Let me know when you get it .I've got a visual thing for ya. Have fun!! Daniel

Originally posted by mmagnus

I am getting ready to purchase a remanufactured L28 from ATK engines. Evidently it doesnt come with an oil pan. Does anyone know someone that sells new oil pan for this block? I really dont want to get from juck yard because I am trying to make the care show quality.

Mark

Mark, what's wrong with getting a pan from a junkyard? As long as it's straight (no dings), you can refurb it.

Take it to an engine shop and ask them to 'dip' it into their special HOT chemical dip. (Remember that movie "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?!")

Anyway, you can then take it to a powder-coat shop and ask them to chrome that puppy. :)