IGNORED

Fuel vapor tank

ricksaia

Yes but remember the vapor tank is there for ecological reasons. We are not supposed to be breathing fuel vapors.

The main vent from the fuel tank can be fit with a T connector near the fuel filler tube and then drain stright down to the fender well.

Thank you. Do I have to install Nissan fuel lines or can I put store bought fuel lines on the Z. And, will this solve my stinky interior? Also, the early Z car has a plastic vapor tank and the later models have a metal one. Which is better?

The plastic tanks tend to degrade over time and crack. There has been some discussion about fit for the different tanks, but I don't know much more. I don't see why any proper size fuel rated hose wouldn't work. The main vent hose from the fuel tank does a U-turn under the back, but I have seen people discuss a bent metal tube and clamps substitution for this. There are other vent pipes on the tank to seal if you eliminate the vapor tank. The stinky in your car could be a broken vent hose or the tank.

I just pulled the tank on my '73 . I am sick and tired of having explosive vapor in the interior of my car under any surcomstances. Nissan makes a hose that is for this purpose. It is a simple mod. and it eliminates all the plumbing accept one vent hose to the existing port on the filler neck to vent the tank while it is filled. Sorry I dont own a scanner or a digital camera but I may still have a diagram in a file that I can send you if you want . Just send me a email Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Well gang, I have modified my gas tank to get rid of the vapor tank. I did everything Gary suggested. I even came up with a low cost solution to the expensive line from Nissan. I went to Home Depot and bought a 3 ft. flexable stainless steel line. On one side I used a 5/8 adapter and on the other line I used a 3/4 adapter. I used a 2 in. rubber fuel line on either side and clamped it. It is easily bent and holds it shape. Blocked off the lower vapor line, ran the thicker line (stainless steel) to the fuel neck and ran the other line to vent line that runs to the front of the car, whereby eliminating the need for a vapor tank. I will start the car this Sunday and see how everything works. I will let everybody know the outcome. By the way, the stainless steel line was $11.00. Rick.