IGNORED

Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432

kats

Hi Kats,

I spoke to my friend (original and current owner of 71 240z). He explained how the 240z waiting list went:

1. You signed up at the dealer and were added to the list.

2. As a car arrived, regardless of colour or transmission, the person at the top of the list was offered it. If that person refused, he was put at the bottom of the list.

My friend was on it for nearly a year up to April 1971 but never made it to the top. When he travelled to western Canada in April 71 for work as a student, he just landed and enroute to the hotel, he saw a Datsun dealer with two red Z's. He quickly checked into the hotel then had the taxi return him to see the Datsun dealer. The dealer said the two red Z's just arrived that morning and one was sold. My friend bought the other on the spot.

The date of mfgr was Jan 1971 but most of the date stamps on the parts were Nov-Dec 1970.

Edited by Blue

This is how it was when I was discharged from the Air Force in Feb.72. Couldn't buy a Z from I believe it was "Nemet" Car Catalog, advertised in "Playboy". I went to Brunswick Datsun, Bedford Datsun, and a dealer in Mentor, Ohio. All wanted $1000 down and you were put on a list, each dealer got one Z for every 29 cars they sold. I went out to Stang Motors, in Elyria, Ohio and spoke to Tom Tracy, early Sat. morning. I explained the situation, showed him my DD214, and the correspondence from Nissan. All he wanted was a $100 down. A week later he calls, says he has 3, I got a white w/maroon interior, mine had vertical defroster lines in the hatch. No extras were tacked on.

This Z432 got DCOE with the air cleaner box.

kats

Speaking of Air cleaner boxes - I have Webers on my car, which the air cleaner is clearly not designed to be used with, because of the stamping which protrudes between the intake holes. On a DCOE carburetor, the two barrels are flush with the body of the carburetor, so a spacer is required at the end of the barrel in order to have the air cleaner attach properly to the carburetor. I imagine anyone who put Webers on in period was running without the air cleaner, unless there's something I'm missing.

post-3193-14150820684835_thumb.jpg

Brush,thank you Blue.

You told me about leaks, I replaced a hose of water from pump to block, I have been wanted original clamp and braided hose.

last week I did this replacement,and it leaks!! The silver is a really nice to see the leaks...

Now it is cured.I tighten the clamp enough.

kats

Silver is a beautiful motor colour... plus you can see leaks easy.

Your hand-painting is a great idea. Now you can easily touch-up with a brush in the future and apply the paint thicker.

post-3193-14150820685406_thumb.jpg

Brush,thank you Blue.

You told me about leaks, I replaced a hose of water from pump to block, I have been wanted original clamp and braided hose.

last week I did this replacement,and it leaks!! The silver is a really nice to see the leaks...

Now it is cured.I tighten the clamp enough.

kats

I am glad to help! I think that tightening hose clamps should be done once a year as preventative maintenance for the first few years of installing a new hose (FYI I had the same experience as you :) ).

Fred,

#253 is super!! very very rare. 1969 US 240Z and Z432(1969-1973) are found 100 or more each.But I do not see 1969 S30(S) and 1969 HS30 and 1969 HLS30(other than north america) many.

So keep it forever.

Like Mike told us , emblems are very hard to come by,even in Japan.My friend Mr.Watanabe(his web site is

http://z432.car.coocan.jp/newpage501.html)

He is making some repros by his own hands, it is a good try,I will ask him if you need them.

kats

Hi Kats, Just returned home from Richmond, Virginia. Grandson was 2 on the 15th. I checked the serial #, it's 253. To get it back on the road I need clutch, pressure plate which I can purchase here. Things I'll need for the early 5 speed are, rubber shift boot ( under leather shift boot ), Throw out bearing, the 2 wire springs inside the 5 speed, rubber boot for linkage arm.

Are the exterior emblems still available? I need hood, both aft side emblems behind the windows , and all hatch back emblems. I have original side Fairlady fender emblems.I have hubcaps with no center emblems. Early cars here have "D" centers. What did the Fairlady ZL have? I picked up brochures when I visited Japan on leave in Dec. 71. Looks as if they were pentagon in the center of the hubcaps. I saw the burgundy Fairlady ZG on display, absolutly a thing of beauty. I'd like to get my Fairlady back on the road so I can move down to West coast of Florida. Hopefully I'll try and post pictures

Edited by kats

Mike,

Yes the bracket should be cad plated.Mines are painted black,I can see cad plated under the paint,so I can remove the paint and complete!

What are you listening on the stereo? I have got a Bally White "Love theme" from ebay and it is just fantastic.

I have got the rear panel from Yahoo Japan last year,I was so lucky to be able to get it.

Maybe some one is helping , I am always feeling this every time I found correct parts timely, and amazingly.

kats

Hi Kats,

It will be great if you can bring your Z432 to San Diego in 2014. I would love to see it in person and I would like to bring one of my cars as well. Hopefully the timing will work out for both of us.

My 1970 Fairlady ZL also has the 8 track stereo. It currently has pioneer speakers that a prior owner must have put in it before it was taken off the road in the late 70's. I'm not sure if the speaker brackets are original or not, but they are both the rounded version, like your right side. Your speaker brackets are painted black, but originally I think they would have been cad plated. My US market cars have the same type of bracket and speaker like you shown on the left side and they have the silk screen squares on the speaker cone like yours.

Nice work on the floors and rear panel repairs. It looks like they did a good job matching the exterior paint to the rest of the car. Did you get that rear repair panel on yahoo Japan? I saw one sold on there several months ago (maybe late last year). I have one that I will use on my Fairlady Z when I get around to restoring it.

-Mike