IGNORED

Fixing Black Pearl style mirrors.

mgood

I am not sure if any one has done this or not. My passenger side mirror housing came off the little post ball in side of the mirror because the hole must have over time enlarged. These are the original mirrors I purchased with the car back in 76.

Here is what I did to remedy the situation. I am working on the driver side because I did not have my camera for the passengers side.

I pushed the housing back on over the ball.

post-13827-14150824556455_thumb.jpg

I found a 1 1/6" washer on the thinner side and hammered it concave and sawed a slot the width of the hole to fit over the post in the mirror. You want to try to use a washer on the harder side but thin.

post-13827-14150824556946_thumb.jpg

Next I slipped the washer over the post with the concave side towards the front of the car. In the picture I have the slot on the bottom, I realized that it would slip out on top so in the end the slot is on the top. The washer will not slip out with the slot on top because it sets on the housing on the bottom. The spring metal piece pushing against the ball I had to reverse so the bolts would be low enough to allow the mirror to be completely pressed in far enough to allow the underneath bolts to be inserted when bolting the mirror back on.

post-13827-14150824557565_thumb.jpg

The finished assembly.

post-13827-14150824555563_thumb.jpg

I hope this helps someone.

post-13827-14150824555956_thumb.jpg

post-13827-14150824556696_thumb.jpg

post-13827-14150824557201_thumb.jpg

Took me a while staring at the photos to realise what I was looking at. The ball section is the fixed anchor and the section around it with the two threaded stud holes is the mirror housing.

Nice simple fix. End result looks great. How does the swivel action feel compared to original now it has the extra washer? Just wondering if the washer might cause extra movement making it harder to fix position.

Chas

• Like 1

You could have pulled the spherical post out instead of cutting the washer.

mirror3_zps17b75b8d.jpg

Put some Loctite on it when you put it back together, and it should hold. The REAL elegant solution would be to make a new stud with a larger ball on the end... That would be the most time consuming alternative!

Here's a thread with some other related pics:

• Like 1

Euro, the mirror seem set ok and does have some adjustment up and down and in and out like before.and stays in place, will see over time.

Captain, Your thread is the one I had seen and referred to, but could not find. I knew the ball came from your pictures but was concerned about the paint and how to pull it out.

• 3 years later...