IGNORED

My Datsun 240Z

Very much thanks to club members here for your support !

I noticed the differential was leaking a bit, so yesterday morning I checked the gasket from the cover, and it was almost gone ( from age ) , so I put some Winss black gasket maker ( liquid gasket ) on it, and now it's dry :) Don't want it to be leaking and killing this differential as well..

For other people who want to change the gasket without removing the differential: take out the 2 studs that hold the differential to the mustache bar. ( support the diff ) Release the mustache bar from the mounts and drop it a bit.. now you can take off the cover.

Coming Tuesday I will be going to a wheel repair shop and have them check the vibration issue..

Edited by bartsscooterservice

Hi Bart,

Thats great news that you finally got the diff. Bit of a bummer that you still have that vibration issue.

The front of my diff has a counterweight and the PO welded extra weights on it. I took it off because his welding was pretty raged to say the least. I soon discovered why it was on there. It had a vibration around 80km/hr. Put it back on and it was gone.

We have done this on centrifuges where I work.

Thats the thing with vibrations. If you play with weights you can change the zone of the frequency which causes the vibration. It won't stop vibrations, but it can more them to a zone where you won't have any problems.

If you can't stop the leak, you can order a new Diff cover gasket at your local Nissan dealer for €2.85. The gasket and breather are still available.

Goodluck and sucess hunting.

Chas

Thanks for that info Chas, if it will leak I'll order that gasket. So far I haven't seen anything leaking.

Now 2 days ago I went to that wheel repair shop, and they made spacers for the front wheels, the rear wheels they couldn't do, but said they center enough on the bolts.. Okay anyhow I went back home, and the vibration issue was alot less..maybe 50% less. So again an improvement.. but now I could feel other issues.

When driving 50 mph in 4th gear if I go easy on the throttle there's no vibration, but when I hit the throttle there it is.. So again I checked at home and found the rear wheel bearings to have play. So I'm going to replace these aswell then since they are old.. Also to be sure I ordered the driveshaft and the two half shafts with the u-joints rebuilded from Ebay, so I can swap them out aswell ( and rebuild the current ones later on as a spare set ), these must be tired also.

If those 2 things are done, I must have changed everything on the undercarriage and driveline as far as I know. Hope it's going to help with the small vibration that's left.

Hi Bart,

Sent you a PM, but thought it might be handy for others to post the wheel bearings info here as well.

When I did mine two years back, I ordered the bearings from Nissan and they sent SKF bearings in Nissan packaging.

Bearings:

Inner: Nissan p/n: 43215-E4100 (Nachi RLS10-C4) --> SKF GRW116

Outer: Nissan p/n: 43210-E4100 (NSK B31Z-16C4) --> SKF GRW117

In brackets is what came out of my car.

Oil seal Nissan p/n: 43232-E4100 (€5,45/ea)

There is not many manufacturers making the outer bearing these days.

Warning: Only use the C4 tolerance bearings. The C3 bearings (smaller tolerances) will run much hotter and wear out quickly.

See attachment for SKF catalog. You can search the PDF. Just use the first numbers, eg: 43232 and keep searching till you find the Nissan part number you want. With the SKF number you can find other manufacture of you choice.

The raer wheel bearings are on page 315 (screen shot).

Succes

Chas

post-26512-14150827547402_thumb.jpg

SKF_Catalog.pdf

Hoi Bart,

I changed mine a while back too. The right side coupling on the rack also had some play in it. You have to cut the tack weld to adjust it. Took me a while to get the pre-load right. After those two repairs, nearly all play in the steering is gone.

Any luck with your vibration?

Chas

Hoi Bart,

I changed mine a while back too. The right side coupling on the rack also had some play in it. You have to cut the tack weld to adjust it. Took me a while to get the pre-load right. After those two repairs, nearly all play in the steering is gone.

Any luck with your vibration?

Chas

The steering coupler also helped again with the vibration.. I have the rear wheel bearings in house now, still waiting for the axles with the new u-joints to arrive this week to replace. Hopefully that does alot :)

• 2 weeks later...