IGNORED

A good screw just isn't enough-it must oscillate!

hls30.com

If you are interested...SNIP....My original thought was replace the motor with a current equivalent to both the driver(osciillator) and the stepper(ac Motor) and that is all there is looks to be dead on!

I'll keep everyone up to date.

Will

Hi Will,

Oh, I'm interested all right.

My only decision is whether to go with a "stepper" motor controlled by an electronic timer circuit or go "ac" motor controlled by an electronic quartz oscillator.

Gear tooth count,shaft size and motor mounting issues are my main issue.

Control is easy but you knew that.

Chris A.

Here are is a "Readers Digest" version of email and the full attatchments I sent-sans the patent info(too problematic to attatch, and a quick way to a headache!)

"Dear Sir,

In a phone call to Instrument Service today, I related some particulars about a clock I would like updated, and was asked to send some photographs. Attatched to this email, please find several photos.

The clock in question is a two part "Nissan Rally Clock" from 1970. It is a clock that Nissan Competition parts offered as an optional replacement for the standard clock in a few models of cars in the USA, and it came standard on a few models abroad.

The clock has special features and two knobs. One knob make an "elapsed time wheel" rotate, and the other one resets the second sweep hand when pressed. When pulled it is used to set the clock hands.

There are two parts to the clock, and external oscillator unit, and the actual mechanism.

The oscillator unit is actually a derivative of the Bulova accutron, and as such utilizes a tuning fork to generate timing pulses. Bulova and Citizen(Jeco) had a buyin at this time period, and that technology was part of the swap.

I believe the tuning fork is used to generate A/C pulses to drive the motor in the mechanism.

I have both an oscillator unit and the clock pictured. If this conversion is successful, I feel sure that between four and seven of my peers will also have it done as they are either missing the oscillator, or it is broken-rendering the clock an interesting paperweight!

Several of my peers are also missing one Knob and screw for the clock. I have found suitable knobs, but the screw has been more difficult. I have included a photo of a spec sheet for the screw-I can make a suitable washer to make a similar sized screw fit.

Thank you for your consideration, please contact me if I have left out anything

that would be helpful.

William Stokes"

post-4106-14150800248251_thumb.jpg

post-4106-14150800248728_thumb.jpg

post-4106-14150800249061_thumb.jpg

post-4106-14150800249398_thumb.jpg

post-4106-14150800249691_thumb.jpg

post-4106-14150800249987_thumb.jpg

post-4106-14150800250343_thumb.jpg

post-4106-14150800250904_thumb.jpg

I just heard from them.

"Unfortunately, we can't tell you whether we can do anything with it for sure

based on the pictures. We have not done this clock but if you would send it in

we'd be glad to take a look at it at no charge.

Sincerely,

Connie

Instrument Services, Inc."

I think sending the clock in might be the quickest way to an answer-I'll get with those whose parts I have and get their take, but what is the general consensus?

Will

Hullo Will

You appear to be getting your teeth right into this one. Your description of the function of the Oscillator is most interesting. Is there any chance that a replacement unit or a repair process can be found for the Oscillator.

For a total amateur like me, having a simple fix would be great.

Of course , if a solution is to rebuild the Rally Clocks with a new operating mechanism, then it may be woth considering.

I'll bet there are many Zeds out there with similar non-functioning Oscillators.

Regards, Jack

The issue with the oscillator I have borrowed appears to be the driver for the tuning fork-or the tune of the fork-I'd be willing to bet the same issue is the common demise of most.

The right answer to me is an updated motor/timer for the clock, that way there won't be future maintenance issues with a timer that is without a supply of its primary and pivotal part.

Will

It all sounds great - happy to have some great minds working on this problem. I just want mine to run and look original in the dash (even if it wasn't). It can be self-contained in the gauge or separate like the original oscillator was. Just happy that some old rally clocks might rally again.

Was going to edit my last post as I see I spoke before I'd read the next page. William, if you are going to send in your clock and need to send the oscillator with, then go ahead. I wonder how much these guys would charge to update to a self-contained (no separate oscillator) rally. I was hoping for an inexpesive solution, like cheap oscillator repair or copy, but whatever the consensus here I'm willing to go along for the good of the cause.

I emailed them right back to see if they needed both pieces of the assy. No response as of yet. With your answer, I have the "OK" to send in both pieces.

I am going to do some figuring ratios and such before I send anything off so that I can keep working for an answer while they take a look.

I don't know of any reason the clock could not be updated with a small unit inside the case, or a very small piggyback driver.

Will

• 4 weeks later...

New Update,

On Monday, May 21st, 2007, I am driving up to drop off the Clock and the Oscillator with an instrument restoration company. After speaking with several similar companies, this one had the best answers-and luck would have it, is essentailly on my way on a trip. I am working on getting the company to give a good evaluation of the mechanism while I am there, or before I return home so hopefully there will be another update soon.

The problem with repairing the oscillator is that the tuning fork assembly is NLA, and having 50(or even one) hand made made is a bigger pile of hundred dollar bills than the rust removed from all of our cars...While it can be done, given that as the only way, I think I would rather have a cure for a serious disease than a working rally clock.

Will

OK, the trip will be Thursday/Friday 5/31,6/1. How many of you guys would need a rally clock mechanism update? I'm working on bargaining chips....

I spoke with them to confirm my appointment, and they happen to have a later rally clock (single knob) in the shop at the moment, (anybody here?) They seem more optomistic about being able to fit a replacement motor in my two knob clock(where the circuitry is already "off site") than in the single knob variety. We had a healthy conversation about the oscillator, and its origins, and he is very interested in the clock, to the point that He is going to have a look while I am there and see if the standard motors will fit, and then explore more alternatives as necessary...

Is it next Thursday yet?

Will

OK, the trip will be Thursday/Friday 5/31,6/1. How many of you guys would need a rally clock mechanism update? I'm working on bargaining chips....Will

You know I'm interested. Good luck. Go Will!