IGNORED

Where's the middle ground?

eob

I've been finishing off my last project car and I'm going to follow it up with a tuned 240Z of some sort. The thing is, I'm buying in from the U.K. (Ireland resident here) and I've yet to find a compromise of work vs. purchase price.

I can buy a Zed for as low as €600 (~$800) or I can go as high as €15,000. Obviously the €15,000 examples are for pristine original cars with a perfect history, useless to me because I'll modify it, but for example the cars that are worth about €600.. the amount I'm going to have to spend on such a car to bring it up to standard would probably put it in the region of a reasonably restored and running Z.

So, where's the middle ground? What kind of condition strikes a good balance between a financially destroying restoration build, and buying a car that's just not worth the asking price?

With your Z, what route did you take? Did you buy a running, good cond. Z or did you buy a banger, strip to bare metal and start from scratch?

Originally posted by eob

So, where's the middle ground? What kind of condition strikes a good balance between a financially destroying restoration build, and buying a car that's just not worth the asking price?

This depends completely on your goals. Do you enjoy working on cars in your spare time as a hobby? Perhaps it's something to just get your mind off of work. If so, buying a less expensive car and working on it yourself is the way to go. If your goal is simply to own a 240Z in top condition then just go buy one where someone else has done all of the work. It's a sad fact that your car will almost never be worth the amount of time and money you've put into the restoration. If your goal truly is to do a restoration yourself but money is an issue you're still better off starting out with the best car you can afford in the long run.

I tend to agree. If you want to buy a 240Z because you want to drive it, then get the best condition on that you can afford.

I took the other route. I paid $250 for the Z that sits in my garage, and basement, and office, and... but ONLY because I wanted a project, and did not care if I ever got to drive it.

I have alread spend WAY more than I ever intended, and I still haven't finished re-assembling the engine.

(Actually, with a couple of teenage boys in the family, the longer it takes to get it running the better.:stupid: )

I know what's involved in a ground up rebuild, where you're redesigning the car completely as you go along, so I know the level of work involved... I was just wondering if there's a happy medium between killing yourself with the work involved, or just buying a relatively decent one to start out with.

I can see myself going the complete rebuild route to be honest, but I've learned the lesson from the last one that you can't prep the underneath of a car on axle stands... rotisserie all the way baby :D

The best advice is to buy the car that has the least amount of rust. That's the biggest downfall in a project type of car, getting into the project and finding hidden rust issues that end up costing you time and piles of money to repair.

If you aren't afraid of working on the car to personalize it to your tastes, buy the car that has the least amount of rust issues no matter what the price is. You'll be glad you did.

Well inbetween is always hard. I think I was lucky to find a good example and at the time it was a great car it still is but I notice it's imperfections. I'm a perfection artist i have to have things just so, and it will be the death of me I'll probably strip it to bare metal and go the whole hog but I started with a minimal rust example which is really good.

Sure i paid more than I did with the rustier ones but it will save me more in the end.

It's also good this way because while im still fairly young I might have an accident or scratch the paint or dent it so i don't mind the paint isn't perfect or the rest of the car isn't because I can always fix it.

If it was like a new car to begin with I'd hit myself over putting small marks in the paint etc..

I understand your pain when it comes to modifying but look at it this way you can spend all your time making it original and never drive it but notice that in our gallery's the cars that often get the most attention are the well modified ones with nice wheels. Often non original paint and groovy interiors.

i think you won't harm any value modding the car even if you bought a minter as long as you do as i do which is make sure everything you do u can undo cause if your like me then your an indecisive prick who is never sure when he makes changes LOL.

Good luck.

You've hit the nail on the head Gavin.

Really what I'm looking for is an in-between rolling shell which doesn't need serious structural repairs. Any of the modifications I make, I intend to design it so they can be undone at a later date should the car become a classic icon and be worth millions etc ;)

I think I'll go hunting for a solid starter shell, bung it on a rotisserie to kill any rust that is there and to underproof it etc, then build it up weekend by weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

I would think that because of your location that the availabity of part would be a big issue, vary big. Aside from this as 2manys has said the #1 down fall of these cars is rust . It is expesnive to repair correctly . In my openion I would look first for the most rust free car and secound the most complete . And go form there.